How long do you (if you have) wait to decide whether or not to euthanize a fish?
Stormrunner's been rapidly deteriorating from yesterday to today.. right now he's in a hospital tank in three inches of water, lying on his side on the bottom. He only moves to come up for air, and when he does he jerks around trying to make it to the surface. I've already lowered his water level once already.. when he's grabbed a gulp of air he just falls back to the bottom.
I'm not sure what even happened.. he was fine the day before yesterday. I did a 20% change when he looked funny and tested the water.. the ammonia was way up even though I had just changed it two days previously. Yesterday I did a 40% change, and this morning when he was propping himself up on plants to stay up I removed him and put him into the hospital tank. I did another 20% change on the tank.
This whole time Nettle, his tankmate, has shown no signs of illness or abnormal behavior.
He hasn't shown much improvement over the course of the day.. right now he's lying on his side over a silk leaf, motionless. His fins are dark black still, but the marbled portion on his body is pale. I don't know whether he's in pain or not, but he isn't doing well.
How long until I should make the call, and what can I do that won't cause him any pain? His water will get changed tomorrow to keep it clean, and I really don't know if there's anything else I can do for him.
Sorry for the long post.. I don't want to lose him (no one ever wants to lose a pet) but I don't want him to suffer and die slowly, either. I feel crushed that something so dependent on me for life is withering away right next to me.
Thanks for any advice, in advance.