Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh my gosh! We are all in ther same boat! I could stand to lose about 20-30 lbs. It's amazing how many of us have bad knees. I have had arthoscopic surgery on both of my knees but I AM able to walk. I decided to try and start trying to lose weight in January. The holidays are not a good time for me to start a diet. Too many good things to eat. lol Maybe we could all help each other and encourage each other.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:40 AM   #12 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I have it too. I have always been pretty curvy since I hit about 14. At about 18 I got skinny with some cute curves without doing ANYTHING different. now I have gained weight back. I am not huge or anything, but I am curvy.. enough that I am really self consious and hate my body. I have love handles that never go away, even when I was skinny. =[
BUT.. I would rather have some curves then be a stick. and I want to eat what I want to eat.. I want to eat healthy, but if I want a baskin robbins ice cream cake I dont want to feel guilty either.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #13 
nochoramet

I'm not quite as concerned about my weight as I am about my health... I've always been skinny because I've got really good genes and high metabolism I guess... I'm 5'7 and 115lbs but I really am not healthy at all. I don't sleep right, I certainly don't eat right (broke college kid!) and I don't ever exercise. I may look little but I guarantee I am not healthy at all... I need to exercise and eat right but when I ask ppl for advice they're like "You don't need to lose weight!!" They don't listen when I say it's not for weight it's for health. And I can't find the motivation myself. GRRR!!! And I have a family history of diabetes and heart disease and I eat so much fast food and sugary stuff that I know I'll regret it and soon.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochoramet View Post
I'm not quite as concerned about my weight as I am about my health... I've always been skinny because I've got really good genes and high metabolism I guess... I'm 5'7 and 115lbs but I really am not healthy at all. I don't sleep right, I certainly don't eat right (broke college kid!) and I don't ever exercise. I may look little but I guarantee I am not healthy at all... I need to exercise and eat right but when I ask ppl for advice they're like "You don't need to lose weight!!" They don't listen when I say it's not for weight it's for health. And I can't find the motivation myself. GRRR!!! And I have a family history of diabetes and heart disease and I eat so much fast food and sugary stuff that I know I'll regret it and soon.
My mom is diabetic. I was tested for it but my sugar level isn't high enough for me to be diabetic, thank giodness. Heart problems run in my family, too. I know I need to eat right and exercise but like you, I can't get motivated.I have high cholesterol and I'm on meds for it.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:43 AM   #15 
dr2b

I recently quit drinking soda and started drinking the flavored, carbonated water instead. Between that, eating smaller portions and healthier, and biking with my boyfriend more often... I've began to lose weight and inches. Honestly, it is amazing how much weight one can lose just by not drinking soda. When I was in 9th grade or so, I was 5'5" @ 110 lbs. I gained weight after a battle with depression... and when I got into nursing the weight piled on (how can you turn down the food the patient's family brings to you... lol). Once I got out of nursing I initially lost some weight... but I had never truly changed my ways. I honestly feel so much better since I have lost this weight this year and have been more active.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know I drink too much soda. I've heard that diet soda is as bad as the regular so I switch back and forth. I should try flavored carbonated water. I also like iced tea and hot tea but I always use sweetener in them.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #17 
TaylorW

High blood pressure and a few other health problems run in my family, and I don't think college food is helping me any... Ahh! No time or motivation to exercise! Maybe I should try taking the stairs instead of the elevator... I live on the 11th floor, so maybe that will help me!

Diet pop contains aspartame, which makes it way worse than regular, so I try to avoid diet when I do drink pop. Fortunately (Or unfortunately? :P) I have severe food allergies that limits my diet, so that I can only drink Dr.Pepper. Other pops and most juices make me itch.

I know eating unhealthy can NOT be good for my allergies!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #18 
vaygirl

I'm in the same boat! In 2008 I was 250 (I'm 5'1"). I went on weight watchers and over a year got down to 165. Now I'm back at 190. :/

It's frustrating. I have no excuse. I love hamburgers and sitting on my butt! I'm on sparkpeople now. It's free and I can track what I'm eating, track my exercise. I was 195 two weeks ago, so I've had some success. I'm doing my treadmill now instead of using it as a freakin' coat rack.

It sucks. I've been dealing with it my whole life. I just have to re-decide that I want this more then I want instant gratification. I can't believe I let myself creep back up like I did. :/ I have very poor impulse control. LOL!

I have to add though, cutting out what I like doesn't work for me. I end up rebelling against myself and binging like a nut. I'm learning to plan the things I want into my calorie range for the day by sacrificing some things or having less of what I really want. Sparkpeople is a HUGE help with that.

Last edited by vaygirl; 11-10-2010 at 11:30 AM.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

I went on Alli and did their online program for awhile and it worked for me. I may try it again. If you eat too much fat while you're on Alli, you'll be running to the bathroom a lot. lol
Old 11-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #20 
Adastra

I've always been 5'3" 105lbs, but ever since I started taking birth control I've managed to gain 10 lbs that isn't going away. It's a known side effect of the drug but still a bummer that my jeans don't fit quite as well any more. I can't say that puts me in quite the same boat as others, but for those of you who just don't feel right when you eat less, the problem is that you're probably not eating the right things and you're depriving yourself of nutrition.

Cutting calories in the form of junk food and sweets and sugary drinks like soda is important, but if that was a major part of your diet, you need to replace them with something healthier rather than just completely cut out snacks altogether. A big problem is also that most salads in restaurants are actually more fattening than a lot of the meat entrees. Granola bars are more fattening than say, cheese and crackers. I found the Eat This, Not That material was very very helpful in determining whether what I thought was "diet food" was actually less fattening. In reality, most of the diet food we see on the restaurant menu and in grocery aisles are loaded with sugar and salt.

Migranes, mood swings, dizziness, fatigue and food cravings are all possible symptoms of poor nutrition. When you're dieting, you still need to eat plenty of protein, fruits, and vegetables or you're just going to feel like crap all the time. Things like drinking sugar free 100% fruit juice, eating a sweet potato instead of a baking potato, ditching the iceberg lettuce and eating a salad full of mixed greens instead, and choosing lean meats like turkey/chicken/fish, and wrapping that burger in a lettuce leaf instead of a bun all add up, and you can see the results without feeling awful every day.

Do your research before you go on a diet--when you're budgeting your calories, it's not just about subtraction, you also have to add more calorie/nutrient efficient foods so that you don't skip out on valuable nutrition.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote