Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #1 
DaEvangelist

Unhappy Suicidal betta or just confused?

Hello all,

So Danube has been having fun in his new habitat for the past week or so but a new behavior has popped up which sort of has me worried.

As some people have noted, some bettas seem to like to hang out in the current, and it seems that my little guy is one of those. He would hang out in plants and decorations in the current such that he doesn't have to move. He just swims hard against the current until he can perch on a plant and he anchors himself there for a while. I put the plants and decorations there so that they would lessen the impact of the HOB filter waterfall overflow current on the rest of the aquarium but he seems to spend most of his time on the side with the strong current flows.

That's just background, because now, instead of just hanging out in the current, he seems to be intent on swimming up through the current into the filter like a salmon.

Here are some pics:

It's about an inch or an inch and a half from the water surface to the top of the overflow, with a pretty decent current. The first time I heard splashing and rushed over because I thought something had blocked the filter overflow and was flooding the counter. I almost had a heart attack when I saw him in there. I turned the pump off, pulled out the filter insert and slowly poured him back into the aquarium. He has done this four or five more times since the first time and the last two times I just observed him. He seems to spend about 10 to 20 minutes in there when he jumps in, just hanging out in the bottom against the insert then coming up for some air, then hanging out again. When he wants to get out, he just floats to the surface and lets the current plop him back out into the main tank. Then he goes on about his business.

I have checked my water indicators with the API kit and they were all optimal, temp hovers 78 to 80. Aquarium content are some plastic decorations and some live plants. Plants are elodea in the gravel, floating wisteria, some sprouting betta bulbs. You can see my setup in the betta tank photos thread. Danube looks fine, no distended belly, no ick spots, no fuzzy fungus. He swims around actively and builds bubble nests.

I have tried fast current and slow current but it doesn't seem to matter. He jumps in the filter more often at night though. I can cut up a new dish sponge and maybe put it in front of the overflow so he can't jump in. The thing is that he seems to enjoy it in there.

Do you guys think I should do something to keep him from doing it? Is there something wrong with him that I just can't see? On one hand he might be hurt doing all that jumping and plopping back into the tank, on the other hand, if it's something fun for him to do, then I don't want to take that away from him.
DaEvangelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What an interesting behavior......I have never heard of it before...maybe he does think he is a salmon....laffs.....if all the water prams are okay and he is otherwise healthy and he can't get injured in the filter box and since he can get himself out without any problem or he can't jump out of the tank itself....let him have fun.....you really need to get this on video and post it here and on youtube......that would be neat to watch......these guy can sure keep us on our toes and scratching our head......lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #3 
DaEvangelist

Exclamation Crazy betta, film at 11!

Wow, just, wow... I followed up on your advice Oldfishlady and set up my digital camera to record. Even at it's lowest setting I only had about an hour and half and I didn't think I would get anything, but, wow, I got film of him swimming up to the filter, jumping up into the filter, hang out for about 7 minutes in the filter, then plop back down into the aquarium, crazy! That was 15 minutes after I left the house for work!

Give me a little bit of time to edit the video and cut it down since it's about a few hours worth of video and the action can be summed up in 2 minutes.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Awesome...can't wait to see it.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #5 
Maryrox247

Sweet that will be fun to watch! Wow, i wish i had a betta like that! He must be pretty intelligent to find his own little hideaway! AWESOME!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #6 
FishyFriend1

Oh wow, you got one risky little guy
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #7 
DaEvangelist

Cool Presenting Crazy Betta - The Movie

Alright folks, here is the video of my little boy doing his crazy stunt. Do you guys think I need to put in a cave for him? Is that what's he's looking for? Is he missing his little container from when he was young? Was he a salmon in his past life and is now reincarnated as a betta? Oh well, I don't know, but here he is.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYsZ7ynQuzo]YouTube - Crazy betta small.wmv[/ame]
Old 11-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #8 
scootshoot

Cool stuff, thanks for the youtube link. How high is your water level? That filter outtake is basically close to being full submerged no wonder he can go in there so easy.

I would drop the water level some to start....
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #9 
TaylorW

Wow, that's so crazy!! It looks like it took a lot of effort for him to swim against the current!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #10 
Posaune

Maybe he just likes the feel of the current, I know I like a nice breeze rather than still air :P o.o That's so weird though.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote