Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #1 
chavist93

DIY divide hex 5....pics and a question

I picked up another Hex 5 since petsmart has them on sale. This one I want to divide. I made a homemade divider using acrylic and self adhesive weatherstripping that has a groove down the middle. The divider easily slides out and it works and looks great. My question is will two male bettas be too stressed out with the clear divider? I can easily frost the acrylic with a pass over with the palm sander. I like the looks of it clear, but don't want to cause problems. Thanks, and here are some pics.

chavist93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #2 
Colibri

They will definitely get stressed with a clear divider. Trust me. And that's something you don't want to do, getting them stressed, tired and vulnerable to deceases. You should frost it so they live happy and calm. It'll look great, I'm sure!
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #3 
Capricorn

I would frost it, most definitely. I had two males in a tank with a divider that was only partially transparent, and after a while they got used to each other.. but up until then whenever they spotted each other they'd go nuts flaring and going back and forth up the tank.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #4 
dragonfair

I would frost it. A lot of people have divided tanks and their fishies are just fine, but it all depends on their temperaments (the fish, not the people ). Two of my males were in a divided 10 gallon and they never were able to adjust to it. I had to completely separate them.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

I don't see the problem. You can try putting some plants in to block their views if you want.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #6 
danifacetastic

When I first got my two boys I had them in a half gallon divided tank with a clear divider and the one was fine but the other freaked out all the time so I ended up seperating them. Now I've got 3 boys in a divided 10 gallon tank and I'm using counted cross stitch plastic with very small holes as the divider. You can't see through it at all and the only problem is is the teeeny tiny gap between the divider and the tank. The fish can but just barely see the reflection of the other fish. They freak out a little but it's not like they notice it all the time.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #7 
TaylorW

That's a really nice tank! I love the weather-striping idea, and I've never seen a divided hex! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #8 
chavist93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
That's a really nice tank! I love the weather-striping idea, and I've never seen a divided hex! :)
Thanks, the piece of acrylic fits like it was made to go in the grooves of the weatherstripping. Here is a completed picture.

Last edited by chavist93; 11-16-2010 at 07:33 PM.
chavist93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #9 
danifacetastic

Where did you get the weatherstripping?
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #10 
metalbetta

That looks awesome. Love it!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote