Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2010, 07:52 AM   #11 
peaches3221

@dazzlekitty- I did the same thing you did, I used to keep my betta in a little plastic 1/2 gallon tank, thinking they were fine. i just recently upgraded. being twelve, I did not have alot of money for a real "tank" which costs $50 at petco (crazy, I know) so I went to target and bought a 1 gallon jar, which cost about $8 and he is very happy! here's the link and you can also buy the same thing from walmart. http://www.target.com/Anchor-Hocking...rombrowse=0som
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #12 
TaylorW

Large Kritter Keepers also make great cheap homes for your fish! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #13 
DazzleKitty

Thank you all SO much for the helpful replies! They are GREATLY appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
@dazzlekitty- I did the same thing you did, I used to keep my betta in a little plastic 1/2 gallon tank, thinking they were fine. i just recently upgraded. being twelve, I did not have alot of money for a real "tank" which costs $50 at petco (crazy, I know) so I went to target and bought a 1 gallon jar, which cost about $8 and he is very happy! here's the link and you can also buy the same thing from walmart. http://www.target.com/Anchor-Hocking-Glass-Jar-Set/dp/B003NYT1DW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=ancho r%20hocking&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-5&qid=1289310550&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=An chor%20Hocking%20Glass%20Jar%20Set&node=1038576|12 87991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1 038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin,pri ce,target_com_primary_color-bin,target_com_size-bin,target_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0som
I actually did the same thing you did. I know at 12 money is certainly rare to get and I'm 23 and it's hard for me to come by too sometimes. :P Especially when I have to spend $100 in gas every paycheck. Not fun!

I got him a 1 gallon fishbowl. Not the greatest, I now. But he at least has three times as much space as before, along with a cool little colorful cave thingy accessory he can hide in, and a nifty fake plant. Not to mention the pretty, colorful rocks on the bottom of the bowl.

I figured he'd be a lot happpier in there temporarily until I get a bigger tank (hopefully with a filter of sorts).

Do stores actually sell 2 gallon tanks? I have yet to see one. Something around 10 gallons is too big. I only intended to have my little betta and maybe a sucker fish for extra cleaning.

I have a coworker willing to give me a 20 gallon tank for free but it's just too large for the small house my parents and I reside in.

Even if what I have is just temporary for him, I'm still thrilled! I think he'll be a bit happier in it than he was in the tiny little prison I previously bought for him.
He's so darn cute!

In case you are interested, he is a crowntail who looks VERY much so like the betta in the first picture on this website:
http://www.ebetta.com/2008/08/06/crowntail-bettas/

His body is a beautiful silvery light red and his fins are deep red color.
He's adorable. :)

Thank you all so much again! I will get him a better home asap.
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #14 
TaylorW

My pet store keeps the 2 gallons and 2.5 gallons in the back! Just ask, and they might have some, they just might not be out on the store front.

You can only have 1 betta in a 2 gallon. If you want a sucker fish, you'll need a 10 gallon, some sucker fish get a foot long! But you could maybe get shrimps or a snail if you get a bunch of live plants and hiding spots in there though.

I'm so glad he's in a 1 gallon, he'll be fine in there! :D Some people on here actually do keep them in 1 gallons, so if you can keep the temperature stable and change the water once every 2 days, he'll be fine till you get him a new home! :) 2.5 is optimal, but 1 gallon he'll be ok in :)
Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #15 
baylee767

Some one else mentioned kritter keepers, and size large (cost $8) are 2.5 gallons. That's what my Betta's in. The XL (Cost up to $15) is 6 or 7 gallons. If you got a tiny sucker fish it could live in a XL maybe, but only 1. Kritter keepers are acryllic (A.K.A plastic) and usually acryllic tanks are very expensive but these aren't. If you look for one in a pet store it could be in the fish, reptile, or "rodent" section.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #16 
TaylorW

I would ask around the Betta Compatibility thread on this site before getting a sucker fish! Different species grow to different sizes and have different personalities! :)
Old 11-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #17 
DazzleKitty

Just an update.

I caved today and decided to hit Petsmart and I bought a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and some cool decor. I also got a Mickey mouse fish as a tankmate. It was recommended by an employee. She said they tend to get along.

The Mickey fish is pretty laid back but my betta sure is having a ball bullying him. But I just checked on them and he's stopped doing it and they are both on their own side of the tank chilling.

My betta is a lot more active already. I'm glad I made the decision to buy a larger tank.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #18 
TaylorW

You REALLY need to take back that Mickey Mouse fish! They are Platys, which need to live in small to medium sized groups to be happy! A 2.5 is NOT big enough for other fish to be tank mates with your betta!

3 to 4 Mickey Mouse fish need 10 gallons of water, the betta alone needs 2.5 gallons!

PLEASE return your other fish or get a bigger tank!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #19 
TaylorW

Pet store employees will tell you anything to sell fish, and a single platy and a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank is not a suitable environment for either animal. Please do research before randomly buying pets!

I don't mean to come off as rude, but I am very concerned about your fish's welfare!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:28 AM   #20 
DazzleKitty

I don't see you as rude. I understand where you are coming from.

I'll try to get him back tomorrow. Will Petsmart usually take back fish? Because if they won't, I don't know what to do with him. I really have no one I can give him to.

I was wondering something. I heard some bettas get depressed when alone, which is why I got him one tankmate. Is this true?