Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2010, 01:41 AM   #1 
MrVampire181

The Flaring Debate

Well since I was talking to Linda Olson (IBC judge and transhipper for Thai breeders) we got onto the topic of isolation in bettas. She knew one breeder who kept cards between all his jars of males. She then continued to tell me about various experiments conducted with other animals. She then told me about a male who had been separated in total isolation for a long time. She then placed him in a tank of betta fry. He ended up being frightened of the fry for the longest time because there were so many of them and he couldn't hide anywhere without seeing fry. Eventually he grew out of it, slowly. Many people claim that flaring is stressful on bettas. Personally I feel it helps them stay healthy. Also all animals need interaction. Bettas interact by displaying their fins, spreading their gills and wagging their bodies. Another example is betta juveniles. If bettas are jarred and kept seperate from their brothers and sisters they may become depressed. Yes it does happen. As long as they're not in the same tank flaring is 100% OK.

Just thought I'd post my views on the topic.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #2 
wolfdreamer

i have cards between my males and the females but i remove them every now and then so they can flare but i do put it back up after awhile. i just thought it would be good exercise for them..just my thoughts
wolfdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

Flaring is definately good excersize! When my boys get kinda sick looking I place them next to another male and that usually works very well :)
Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #4 
CrankyFish84

this makes me wonder if I should paint my divider between Dexter & Shiny Sides ?

It's see through, but...they seem to ignore each other now, more focused on the Food Giver (me!),
or building giant bubble nests. lol
Dexter wasn't like that w/ the crowntail however...he and CT went at it 24/7...
also I have Danny Boy & Ping side by side in seperate tanks...Ping could care less, DB flares sometimes.
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

It really depends. Males who know each other seem to ignore each other most of the time Also CTs may look more threatening to that betta...and makes him feel the need to flare and try to scare the CT off.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #6 
CrankyFish84

Yea that's interesting how the CT is viewed as more scary...They both are about the same size when
full flared.
The CT is the most aggressive & shy of human betta I've ever had...not like I'm an expert or anything,
but just my observation.
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #7 
MizzVamp115

Shuester flares at his reflection every now and then against the black of his filter and Phineas flares at Betty all the time. I normally just let them go about their business when they flare since they aren't constantly doing it and they don't seem to be stressed.
MizzVamp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:53 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Well since I was talking to Linda Olson (IBC judge and transhipper for Thai breeders) we got onto the topic of isolation in bettas. She knew one breeder who kept cards between all his jars of males. She then continued to tell me about various experiments conducted with other animals. She then told me about a male who had been separated in total isolation for a long time. She then placed him in a tank of betta fry. He ended up being frightened of the fry for the longest time because there were so many of them and he couldn't hide anywhere without seeing fry. Eventually he grew out of it, slowly. Many people claim that flaring is stressful on bettas. Personally I feel it helps them stay healthy. Also all animals need interaction. Bettas interact by displaying their fins, spreading their gills and wagging their bodies. Another example is betta juveniles. If bettas are jarred and kept seperate from their brothers and sisters they may become depressed. Yes it does happen. As long as they're not in the same tank flaring is 100% OK.

Just thought I'd post my views on the topic.
I agree. I keep mine next to each other and they don't even look at each other.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote