Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #1 
Welsh

Aquatic Soil

I have found some of this in my local hardware store but it only says suitable for garden ponds, could I still use this in a fish tank?

Thanks
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #2 
Tomsk

Pass,I dont know.
I have been looking for a fert substrate,the best I have seen recommended is Aquasoil made by ADA (U.k supplier is in shropshire).Though I have seen one in my LFS made by Tetra which may be a cheaper but viable alternative.

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I have never used any type of aquatic soil or soil for aquatic use, if I ever find any I do plan to give some a try-I have only used dirt out of my yard or plain potting soil for my substrate in my planted tanks-I have used plain clay kitty liter mixed with some of my soil too without any problems....I would like to find some of that aquatic soil...I know you are in the UK...but what is the name on the soil? I got another tank today I would try it on if I could find some.....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #4 
Welsh

Its just the stores own brand. http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...ondid=10288072

Have you tried ebay or amazon?

I was thinking about using normal garden soil but I was hoping to put either a school of cardinals or make it into a sort of paludarium with maybe some fiddler crabs but if I went with the last option I don't know what effect the brackish water would have on the plants or even the soil on the fish and crabs.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

It is 40% peat-that could make the water really soft.... but...I would still give it a try.... I also have been doing the soil based tanks for a while too and like to experiment with different things...lol.....

I don't shop on line...so no amazon or e-bay...if I can't find what I need locally I do without.....we have lots of garden center I need to go look for that type of soil and get some..maybe...what confuses me...what makes it aquatic or better than potting soil or top soil...is it worth the money when other things like plain-ole-cheap potting soil will work...lol.....
Old 11-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #6 
bettafish15

I hear that any kind of aquatic soil turns to mud after a few months and has to be changed. Just fyi :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

It all turns to mud in my experience...once soil gets wet its mud.....as long as you cap it with either sand or fine gravel it usually is not problematic even when you pull plants and re-plant