Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #1 
willm

Proper way to perform a water change?

I'm new to this whole thing, so I'm wondering what the right way to do a water change is.
My betta fish has a pretty bad case of fish rot , so as part of treatment I'm doing a daily 100% water change. I want to stress him out as little as possible so he can heal better.
Here's how I change his water right now (he lives in a 1-gallon bowl):

I run the tap and adjust the temperature until it's as close as I can get it to the temp of his old water (I gauge this just by holding my finger under the tap and then putting it in his old water).
I pour out water steadily until he falls into another bowl (very small).
Then I pour out the rest of the water and thoroughly rinse the tank.
Then I add half a teaspoon of aquarium salt to the empty tank and fill it up halfway.
Then I rinse my hands under the water (I don't wash them with soap) and stir the water in the bowl to dissolve the salt.
Then I add water conditioner and medication.
Then I pour out as much water from the small bowl where my fish is as I can without him falling out.
Then I fill the tank up and put him in it.

Is there anything wrong with this process? He always seems very freaked out... but maybe this is unavoidable with 100% changes?

Any help would be appreciated!
willm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #2 
scootshoot

I run the tap and adjust the temperature until it's as close as I can get it to the temp of his old water (I gauge this just by holding my finger under the tap and then putting it in his old water).

---------------

I stopped reading at this part ^.^ I doubt you can even put a heater in a 1 gallon so am assuming you just running it on room temperature. Aside from the obvious, get a bigger tank for your betta, the best way given your current circumstances is to get two empty gallon water jugs. Use one for dumping your old tank water. The second one you fill with tap water and conditioner dechlorinizer days in advance of your scheduled water change and let it sit.

Last edited by scootshoot; 11-09-2010 at 04:29 PM.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Your process sounds fine, however, I would use more aquarium salt for your fin rot treatment (1tsp/gal) along with your daily 100% water changes-for no longer than 10 days-also adding either oak leaf or IAL can be helpful in treating fin issues, also, try adding some of the new water to his holding cup before you add him back in his tank-this will help with acclimation to the new water and temp since you are not using a thermometer-it is important to maintain a stable water temp of 76-80F are you using a heater? I use the tetra brand pre-set for my 1gal and they keep my tank at a 76-78F without any problems.

Love to see some pic.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #4 
StayyyFlyyy

^^^^that will make both the containers room temperature and give less shock when changing water. Also am i reading correctly your pouring water into the tank as hes in it??? my recommendation would be to get a net and just transfer him from bowl to container while you change his water... this will give him the least and quickest amount of shock.. or syphon water out and syphon new water in... a slow stream
StayyyFlyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #5 
willm

Quote:
I stopped reading at this part ^.^ I doubt you can even put a heater in a 1 gallon so am assuming you just running it on room temperature. Aside from the obvious, get a bigger tank for your betta, the best way given your current circumstances is to get two empty gallon water jugs. Use one for dumping your old tank water. The second one you fill with tap water and conditioner dechlorinizer days in advance of your scheduled water change and let it sit.
I am aware that bettas are tropical fish and need water that's above room temperature.
I have a halogen light over his tank that heats it somewhat, though obviously a heater would be a much better and more reliable option... but as you said the bowl is too small to put a heater in.

Does water conditioner really take days to work?
Old 11-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #6 
willm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Your process sounds fine, however, I would use more aquarium salt for your fin rot treatment (1tsp/gal) along with your daily 100% water changes-for no longer than 10 days-also adding either oak leaf or IAL can be helpful in treating fin issues, also, try adding some of the new water to his holding cup before you add him back in his tank-this will help with acclimation to the new water and temp since you are not using a thermometer-it is important to maintain a stable water temp of 76-80F are you using a heater? I use the tetra brand pre-set for my 1gal and they keep my tank at a 76-78F without any problems.

Love to see some pic.....
Thanks, that's very helpful!
If possible could you give me some more information about the heater you use? I would really like to get one but I haven't found one small enough for a 1-gal.

Also, I guess I should have put this in the original post, but I do add new water to his holding cup, very slowly
Old 11-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #7 
JKfish

Water dechlorinator dechlorinates the moment it works. some people like to age their water, but you don't have to.

A way to keep him calm would be like so:

Train him to swim into a cup so you don't have to pour him (very stressful). What you do is half submerge a cup/betta cup he came in on its side and while holding it, put a tiny bit of food in it so he has to swim in to get the food. Once he's in, just slowly pick the cup up. Eventually he'll swim in with little to no prompting and won't get so freaked out.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I get the 10w tetra brand heater pre-set for 78F(walmart)-this temp can vary some depending on room temp-but mine has never gone over 79F or lower than 76F

Most of the dechlorinator work on contact and safe to add fish at once.

When you get ready to add the fish back to his tank after your water changes-and you pour off some of the water in the holding cup-add some of the new water from his tank to the holding cup to help acclimate him to his new tank water-
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #9 
willm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Water dechlorinator dechlorinates the moment it works. some people like to age their water, but you don't have to.

A way to keep him calm would be like so:

Train him to swim into a cup so you don't have to pour him (very stressful). What you do is half submerge a cup/betta cup he came in on its side and while holding it, put a tiny bit of food in it so he has to swim in to get the food. Once he's in, just slowly pick the cup up. Eventually he'll swim in with little to no prompting and won't get so freaked out.
Brilliant, I'll do that
Old 11-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #10 
willm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I get the 10w tetra brand heater pre-set for 78F(walmart)-this temp can vary some depending on room temp-but mine has never gone over 79F or lower than 76F

Most of the dechlorinator work on contact and safe to add fish at once.

When you get ready to add the fish back to his tank after your water changes-and you pour off some of the water in the holding cup-add some of the new water from his tank to the holding cup to help acclimate him to his new tank water-
Ok, thanks a lot!

Tags
change, method, proper, water, water change