Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #11 
anglnarnld

Whereever you are you are extremly lucky!! Where I live 10g do not cost $8, they cost at least $20!! I got my 10g with a filter and heater for $40. I would like to get a hawkeye 5g though, I just thought the cookie jar was a creative idea.
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #12 
Alex09

I got my 10 gallon at walmart for $13. My petco sells them for $14. But its just the empty tank, no hoods or accessories included.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #13 
ilovebunnies

I have a 10 watt heater and thermometer in my 1 gallon jar. I don't have a filter, it isn't necessary but you have to change the water often. My jar also has a java fern tied to a rock and pebbles on the bottom.

I didn't have room for a big tank, I had to keep my betta upstairs in my bedroom or else he would probably get stressed out. So I had to find something to fit on my night stand until the dresser I ordered comes in.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #14 
zelilaa

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebunnies View Post
I have a 10 watt heater and thermometer in my 1 gallon jar. I don't have a filter, it isn't necessary but you have to change the water often. My jar also has a java fern tied to a rock and pebbles on the bottom.

I didn't have room for a big tank, I had to keep my betta upstairs in my bedroom or else he would probably get stressed out. So I had to find something to fit on my night stand until the dresser I ordered comes in.
lmao - i have two nightstands you see? So i have devoted one entirely to my betta c:

i have a 3 gal bowl for 4 bucks from goodwill
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #15 
anglnarnld

Lucky^^ I keep my 10g in my room, but then again I do have a roomy room ;) Haha
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #16 
ilovebunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelilaa View Post
lmao - i have two nightstands you see? So i have devoted one entirely to my betta c:

i have a 3 gal bowl for 4 bucks from goodwill
lol, two nightstands would be handy. I have to keep him in my room cause my sister's 2 year old would stress him out. He stresses me out a lot, the little devil.

Can't wait to upgrade to a bigger tank. I've been scoping out those ADA tanks. Those tanks are so dreamy! Maybe one day, when I have the money.

I really need to go to a goodwill store.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #17 
serenarenee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglnarnld View Post
Can you give me a link to the jar because I cant seem to find it..
Hey... here is a link to the jar... it's from Target... I got mine for slightly cheaper at Ross... http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/186-0246060-5350772?asin=B000RMS11Q&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|B000R MS11Q&CPNG=kitchen&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=B000RMS1 1Q&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001
serenarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #18 
serenarenee

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglnarnld View Post
Ty!! Umm what do you keep in there? A filter or a heater?? Anything you suggest??
Right now I have a Penn Plax mini filter. It has chemical and biological filtration and I think a bit of mechanical, but not much as the intake is not powerful at all. (Hence, it works well for bettas who do not do well with current)
I also have a Tetra Mini 25 watt submersible heater that sticks on the side. I didn't have it in when I took the picture. It keeps the tank consistently at about 79. (According to my thermometer! Apparently some presets don't work as well as others. This one is great). I recommend both filter and heater.

Fishwise there are three fancy guppies living there quite nicely. I moved them there to keep it cycled and help feed the plants. =P Eventually there will be a betta, (and the guppies will be moved)
I think it would work for 3 guppies, or 3 little minnows, or a betta and maybe a snail.
I have to feed the plants about 2x a week with Flourish or they start to wilt...
The more plants the better, I understand. (NEVER get nitrite or nitrate readings at all)
I like how it's working out.
If you make one please post it!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #19 
serenarenee

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelilaa View Post
so coolio c:

we have very similar tank lights!
also- you should remove the lid. A betta needs 24/7 access to the surface with open air. You could use plastic wrap and a rubber band as a lid. Just poke holes. If you use a nice rubber band, do it neatly, and make some frill around the band it can look just as niice!

That's a great idea, and good advice. Thanks!... There is actually a gentle aerator on the filter though that pumps air in from outside the jar. So the air up there is being replenished continually.

Air can also move through a notch I cut in the side for the cords to go through so I could leave the top on.
(the goal is to learn how to install a small socket in the knob of the top to put a "hood" light on.)
Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #20 
wallywestisthebest333

That's the same as my tank! :D I'm thinking of getting a penn plaxx filter myself and cycling it! =] That or a tetra whisper filter! =]

I love the plants you chose and that sandcastle ornament is too cute!!! >u< <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote