Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #1 
Capricorn

clamped fins, inactivity..

This makes fish #3 that is sick.. I just lost two in two days and I'd really rather not lose a third. Neither of the others had any concrete symptoms, and Willowisp is no exception.

Quick background on the fish.. Willo is a small female (age unknown) she's usually very bright and friendly, jumps at my fingers in the tank, watches whatever I'm doing, etc. Since today I've noticed her hanging out at the bottom with her belly on the gravel (something she never, ever does) with all fins clamped tight. She's breathing normally and she ate fine for me this afternoon.

The other two males had these symptoms; lethargy, lying on side, and when swimming for air moving in jerky motions. Other than that their breathing was fine.. they wouldn't eat, though. No other movement. Whatever it was killed both within two days. No abnormal water conditions are present.. the two males came from separate tanks.

Housing
What size is your tank?; 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank?; 77*
Does your tank have a filter?; no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?; no
Is your tank heated?; yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?; n/a

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS pellets, frozen blood worms/brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once daily.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?; With her every other day, but she is new to this tank.. she was doing fine in a 5gal before but I had to do some moving around.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?; 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?; Prime.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?; Have not, but she's only been in this tank since yesterday.. everything was cleaned with hot water before moving her in. I have the water still here to test if you'd like it.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?; No appearance change.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?; Lethargic, clamped fins, hanging out just at surface or all the way at the bottom.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?; Just today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?; Moved into a QT tank with no gravel.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?; nope.
How old is your fish (approximately)?; n/a

Thanks for any help you can offer.. it's hard enough having lost two boys so close without worrying over her as well.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #2 
Capricorn

Sorry for the double-post, but I'd like to add that neither clean water nor aquarium salt helped either of the previous fish. I was thinking parasites? But I don't know of anything that kills a fish that quickly..

Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #3 
small fry

Has your female betta been exposed to the males reciently? It may be some sort of illness going around (although I can't think of anything so deadly without any obvious symtoms...).

Have you made any recient changes in your routine? Different water, city water problems? Have you let anyone else do your fish routine?

It might be a major tempreture fluctuation. If the tank water is heated but the room that the water is sitting in is cold, in such a small volume of space, it might have dramaticly fluctuated the tempreture.

Write back any symtoms you notice and maybe we can find out what it is.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #4 
Capricorn

She shouldn't have been.. one of the silk plants from her tank was in Skyshatter's, but I cleaned everything in hot water before using it again.. this was before he went downhill that quickly, too. That's the only thing I can think of, I haven't changed anything else on them. The tank she came from was 78-79*, so it wasn't that huge of a difference.

And no one else touches my tanks except for me, so I know what does in and out of them.

Right now she's lying on her belly (so she's upright) at the bottom of her QT tank, fins clamped and facing the wall. e.e
Old 11-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #5 
small fry

Have you added anything to any of your betta tanks reciently? This sounds widespread. Are you useing tap? Have you tested your tap? My tap water has an ammonia concentration of 2ppm! But I can't think of a reason your fish would respond so suddenly to that.

Did your 2 males die in an identical way? With no signs of diesase? The only thing I can think of that would cause such a problem, widespread, so quickly would be the water itself. Perhaps you can see if you can find water that duplicates your taps pH and hardness. Maybe you can start slowly introducing the new water to your fish.

I would keep a very close eye on any other fish that you are useing the same water with. But it may not even be the water (better safe than sorry, I guess).

Hope this helps! Good luck with your bettas!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #6 
Capricorn

I do use tap water, but I also use prime as a conditioner.. I've been using my water for about three months or so without a problem. There's no ammonia from the tap, either, but tomorrow I'll do a full range check on the levels.

Nothing else different has been added, and the other two went really fast.. one day they were eating and swimming fine and the next they were on their side barely moving. There aren't any other symptoms I can find to explain it.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #7 
Colibri

Maybe it is shock... or she is stressed because you just moved her to that tank?
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #8 
small fry

Do you wear makeup? Such things, after touching fish water, can poison fish! Other things such as hand soap, hand sanatizer, dish soap and other chemicals can poison fish water with just a small dose.

Make sure you aren't exposeing your betta to any kind of makeup, soap, chemicals, or other things that could be toxic to them.

Does this help? Have you been touching the water reciently with makeup or within 30 minutes of washing your hands with anti bacterial soap?

And just curious, how long have you been useing Prime as a de-chlorinater. I thought Prime was a cycleing med. If the label says it is de-chlorinater then it should be fine.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by small fry; 11-10-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #9 
Capricorn

No, I don't wear makeup and don't use soap before touching water and everything.. I hope she's just stressed over moving, her fins are still clamped this morning but she wasn't on the bottom of the tank.

Prime treats chloramines, detoxifies ammonia and nitrites, etcetc.. I believe you can use it to help relieve some of the problems of fish-in cycling, but it's marketed as a water conditioner. I've been using it for about.. two weeks, now?

Thanks for trying to help, guys.. I wish she had more concrete symptoms. e.e
Old 11-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #10 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Capricorn,

When I first got my betta, I had her in a ridiclouly small tank... a vase, really. I got some good advice and moved her into a larger tank. I also got some well-meaning advise that went very wrong.

A fish expert said that my fish was still a fry (she was very tiny!) and she should still be eating fry food. So I went to the local pet store and bought some. It was like a fine powder. I put a pinch of it in the water.

My Betta immediately clamped up her fins and looked very distressed. I did an emergency 100% water change, rinsed the tank, plant and gravel. I thought she was a goner and that the fish food was poisoned...

After the emergency, she unclamped her fins and was okay again. I threw away the fry food and went back to the bio-gold pellets I had been feeding her.

Was the food tainted? I don't know. But there was something about it that was toxic to her...

Did you feed all the fish the same food(s)?

Also, another thought about the water... in treated city water we get from the tap, there can be other chemicals that we don't test for as aquarists... and don't get removed by the water treatment plants. Something to think about.

If your tank is small, you could try going to Petco, PetSmart, etc. a get a bottle of 'betta water' and slowly 'water change' it into what you have in the tank. If she improves, then you'll know that tap water is polluted in a way you can't test for. And you may want to not drink it yourself anymore....

Hope your fishy does better soon!

Cheryl
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote