Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #11 
Capricorn

Thanks for the advice.. yeah, they all get the same food. She's been eating it for the months I've had her with no problem (she even tries to jump for it before it hits the water).

I'll try bottled water, but it doesn't make sense to me that Nettle is fine through all of this.. he shared a tank with the first fish that was sick and yet has been perky and fine all along.

We have our own well water, not town water.. my dad would have told me if he had done something with the water. I won't be home until 9pm tonight, so I really hope that she'll be alright until then. e.e
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #12 
vaygirl

I had the same symptoms run through two fish that I lost. In the end I narrowed it down to an internal bacterial infection. Each fish died within 48 hours. I think 1fish2fish had the same thing and lost fish too. I still think that it was bacteria that came from my water. Each instance happened near a water change.

If she's eating, I would try an antibacterial food, like the one made by jungle labs. If she goes off her food, you could try kanaplex, made by seachem. I had good results treating Tango with it.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #13 
Capricorn

Thank you, Vay.. at least I'm not the only one that's had to deal with this. e.e I will definitely be stopping by the store on the way home to get that and hope for the best. I didn't feed this morning since Wednesday is usually my fasting day, but if I can find that I'll use it. Hopefully she'll be fine until I get home..
Old 11-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #14 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Capricorn:

Even with well water, there can be issues.

Here in New England (and I see you're from CT), well water quality can vary greatly from well to well, due to the variable mineral content and possible chemicals seeping into the groundwater (from superfund sites and old buried leaking fuel tanks at gas stations, etc). It can also vary with the seasons, rainfall amounts, construction disturbing bedrock, and additional wells drawing on the groundwater.

Where I lived 'growing up' (Southern NH), in the worst drought-ish summer weather, the water in the drilled wells would drop. The lower levels of dilution caused greater minerialzation of the water. As a result, arsenic in the wells would rise to dangerous levels, making it unsafe to drink.

In another town, to the south east of us, chemical barrels were leaching dangerous chemicals into the ground water, and the marsh across the street. The chemicals reached the pond and the wells of the townspeople. The government (many years later) declared the area with the barrels a superfund site, fenced it off and clean it up. But the damage was already done to the things they couldn't clean, like the underground aquifer, the wells, the marsh and the pond.

I knew a woman who lived near the pond. All of her pets died of cancer. One wonders what the people of the town, who long drank the water before the superfund site was declared, will suffer.

Just because water is well water, and looks and smells clean, doesn't mean it could have a hidden problem.

That being said, your well may have any issues. Just something to think about.

Is your fish food relatively fresh? If not, that could be a factor.

Hope things go better for you soon,

Cheryl

Cheryl
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #15 
Capricorn

The food is fresh, yeah, I just got it a month or so ago and the date on it is for 2013.. I would toss it before then, but it's not like it's set to expire tomorrow.

As for the water, thanks for the insight.. but I think it would still affect my other fish. Maybe I'm wrong, though, it's possible. I'll try the bottled water as well as what Vay said.. anything is better than nothing.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #16 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
Capricorn:

Just because water is well water, and looks and smells clean, doesn't mean it could have a hidden problem.

That being said, your well may have any issues. Just something to think about.
Lol... okay, I've been typing enough for one day!

The above should read "Just because water is well water, and looks and smells clean, doesn't mean it's okay - it could have a hidden problem.

That being said, your well may not have any issues."

Sheepish Cheryl!
Sheepish Cheryl!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #17 
Capricorn

I figured that's what you meant, haha.

Thank you for your help, though.. anything you guys have said was more than I had before.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #18 
Capricorn

Okay, so a small update.. I couldn't find either of the things that Vay recommended at either pet store I go to, nor at the fish store I called in the next town over. I grabbed some tetra lifeguard (which I know isn't at all what I needed, but I was freaking out e.e).. cut the tablet in half for her 2.5gal and threw it in. Last night she was still not doing much, ignored food, clamping fins.. this morning she looks better! Not 100% by any means, but she improved a little. She actually tried to eat (jumped for her pellet!) though spit out the first one. Ate the second pellet I threw in there. Her fins are still clamped, but not as much as they were last night, and she's actually interacting with me instead of hiding away from me. I plan on finishing the five-day treatment with this.. cross your fingers that it works for her.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #19 
vaygirl

In the case of that infection, anything is better then nothing. We know what happens if we don't treat. :/ I'll keep my figures crossed for you and your girl!

I got the Kanaplex online and I have amazon prime so I can ship overnight for 3 bucks. I guess most stores don't carry it. It always amazes me that they have ailses of decor and hardly any meds.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #20 
Capricorn

Yeah, I went to two different stores and called a third and none of them had either of the things you said.. I'm going to order the kanaplex today so I have it, though, and probably the food too. I was surprised she ate for me this morning, yesterday she was so bad she didn't even look at the food.

Some progress is better than no progress, though!