Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #1 
baylee767

Question Can I take sand off of the beach to put in with my Betta?

Well the title pretty much states it all... can I take sand off my beach (I live in Hawaii) for my Bettas tank? Theres plenty of dry sand or wet sand, if it's okay please tell which is best and wont leave salt into the tank.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #2 
JKfish

I've done this before with sand from an isolated part near Destin. Just make sure your area has little pollution, and the sand is really really clean.

Take dry sand and rinse the heck out of it with fresh water. Rinse and rinse and rinse, and when you think you're done, rinse a few more times just to be sure. After I rinsed mine, I let it dry (spread it out on a cookie sheet under a heating lamp) and then I rinsed it again XD . After that, my parents have this cool sterlizer, so I used that to sterlize the sand... then I gave the sand a quick rinse and put it in the tank. I had to do it in small batches because I only had one small cookie sheet.

Yes, I really did rinse that much. My tank has been running for a while without any issues, and my fishies are fine :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #3 
Capricorn

You need to clean it like mad if you want to use it.. JK's method seems good. xD
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #4 
JKfish

Lol, every time I felt I was done, something in the back of my mind would go "But what if the sand has something in it that'll kill your bettas?" And off I go cleaning like a mad-girl again.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #5 
JKfish

(sorry for the double post :P)

Oh, by the way, you don't have to get sand from the beach (I just liked the white sand at destin). You can buy pool filter sand, play sand, etc and it'd work just as well, you'd just have to be sure to rinse well.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #6 
Alex09

Wouldnt beach sand have lots of salt in it? Maybe see if there are any freshwater rivers nearby... Not sure about about Hawaii (I imagine everything is expensive there) but in the mainland a bag of play sand or pool sand is dirt cheap.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #7 
zelilaa

you can... just rinse like a lunatic! LUNATIC.
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote