Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #1 
evilbetta

Java Ferns - Help

I bought two bettas about a month ago. One is in a "Betta Tank" and the other is in a 1gal tank. I had originally put some live plants i both tanks and took them out when they started turning brown. I now have some Java Ferns ( four of them) but i have to idea how long they should be quarantined they been sitting in a bowl for... a week. So I guess when could i put the plants in the tanks

Also the one gallon tank is starting to get cloudy and it looks like my fish is getting sick. i do put a water conditioner in when i do a weekly water change and aquarium salt as well and i make sure no uneaten food is left to rot. I don't understand why the bigger tank is getting cloudy and the smaller one is not? I guess what are the best water conditioners for my tank.
evilbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #2 
Tomsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbetta View Post
Also the one gallon tank is starting to get cloudy and it looks like my fish is getting sick. i do put a water conditioner in when i do a weekly water change.
Am I reading this correctly,you only change the water once a week in your 1G tank?!!!!

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #3 
evilbetta

I tried to change the water more but he just got more stressed out. I take out a few cup fulls of water every two days.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #4 
peaches3221

once a week is plenty! I keep my betta in a one gallon tank and change the water once a week, and he's fine! how much aquarium salt do you put in?
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #5 
evilbetta

Half a teaspoon to get him used to it.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #6 
ashleyy

Gee. I change my betta's water every two days and he's in a 3 gallon tank.
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #7 
peaches3221

@ashleyy-you don't need to change it that much, maybe every other week.
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #8 
Tomsk

For a 1G tank you need to be doing partial WC every 2 days and a full WC once a week for a healthy tank.

Ashleyy it doing in correct.I have a 5G filtered & planted tank for my Betta and I do a approx 50% WC once a week.

Also why do you feel the need to add salt to the tank?.It is not really needed unless the fish is ill.Dont listen to the person in the LFS they will try to sell you a bicycle for your fish if it means you'll give them your money!

Tomsk

Last edited by Tomsk; 11-10-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling error
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #9 
DaEvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbetta View Post
I bought two bettas about a month ago. One is in a "Betta Tank" and the other is in a 1gal tank. I had originally put some live plants i both tanks and took them out when they started turning brown. I now have some Java Ferns ( four of them) but i have to idea how long they should be quarantined they been sitting in a bowl for... a week. So I guess when could i put the plants in the tanks

Also the one gallon tank is starting to get cloudy and it looks like my fish is getting sick. i do put a water conditioner in when i do a weekly water change and aquarium salt as well and i make sure no uneaten food is left to rot. I don't understand why the bigger tank is getting cloudy and the smaller one is not? I guess what are the best water conditioners for my tank.
I don't think I've quarantined live plants. I've grown the betta bulbs in a separate bowl/dish just in case they didn't sprout and started rotting, but other than that, I don't quarantine live plants.

I got Wisteria and elodea from Petco in those small plastic cylinders with the gel at the bottom. I just rinsed the plants really well so the gel was washed off and plopped them in. I'm letting them float right now to be close to the light. I'll root them in the gravel once they have grown a little.

If the water is getting cloudy and the fish is getting sick, then a more rigorous water change schedule is needed, maybe until he gets better. Every 2 or 3 days with conditioner for the 1 gallon would be good just so your sick fish will be in clean water as much as possible. This will help him get better faster.

Hope he gets better. Let us know how it goes.
DaEvangelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #10 
evilbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
For a 1G tank you need to be doing partial WC every 2 days and a full WC once a week for a healthy tank.

Ashleyy it doing in correct.I have a 5G filtered & planted tank for my Betta and I do a approx 50% WC once a week.

Also why do you feel the need to add salt to the tank?.It is not really needed unless the fish is ill.Dont listen to the person in the LFS they will try to sell you a bicycle for your fish if it means you'll give them your money!

Tomsk

I don't understand your need to be rude. I bought the salt as an additive and because I know many people who use aquarium salt even when their fish aren't sick. I personally am new to having bettas so it bought it to try it out. aNd i know how to keep the tank clean this is the first time its been cloudy I only wanted to know why.

Tags
cloudy, java fern, water conditioners