Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #1 
Iziezi

Question More Newbie Questions

Thank you everyone for being so nice answering my questions. I've got a few more...
1. Since I moved Dobby in to his new gallon jar yesterday afternoon, he hasn't been moving much. He just rests on the plant leaves near the surface. He also hasn't eaten. He hasn't explored his new environment yet, stays on the side of the jar closest to where I sit at my desk. Is this normal behavior for adjusting to a new environment? The water is currently 74*

2. I spotted a round, dark pink gummi thing under his front lower fins... I got him to move, and the gummi thing fell to the bottom of the jar. Anyone know what the gummi thing is? Could it be his food all gummed up into a ball?

3. The guy at the fish store said not to keep Dobby's jar by a window, because the lighting in would cause too many fluctuations in the water temperature. I've got Dobby's jar on my desk bookshelf under the window. He's not in direct sunlight, but it's a lot brighter than where his little jar was (on the shelf above against the books. Is this new location okay or too sunny?

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it!

Last edited by Iziezi; 11-07-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Re-space the pictures
Iziezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #2 
Rain Drop

1. He might be cold or he could still be adjusting. Being is a jar might be messing with his line of vision too since the jar is round.

2. I say he just pooped for you.

3. As long as it's not direct, it's fine. Vitamin D IS GOOOOOD.
But feel free to move it if you like. Just make sure the sun doesn't shine on him for more than an hour in a day and you're good to go.

and I'm just making sure, buuuuut.....there are decent sized holes in that lid, right? D:
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #3 
bettafish15

74 IS MUCH TOO COLD. His water needs to be at 78-81F. ^^
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Oh, FYI, If you got one of those sticker thermometers that you stick on the outside of the tank, he'll have more room :)
Old 11-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #5 
Iziezi

Thank you Raindrop & Bettafish15 for your replies. I appreciate it!

And just for you, Raindrop

If that's not enough holes, let me know, and I'll make more. It doesn't fit on tightly anyways, I just lay it on top.

I also went to the store today (again) and bought a couple of live plants (java fern & wisteria), an aquarium multi-test kit (6 tests) so I can keep an eye on the nitrite levels et al since the jar is a smaller environment, and a siphon so I can clean the junk out of the stones. I've decided it's better to do that 2x week plus a 100% water change on the weekend.

Bettafish15: I don't know what to do about the heater. It's 50W already, and it's supposed to keep the water at 78*, but for some reason it's only keeping it at 74*. Dobby was definitely staying on the sunny side of his jar this morning. I looked for another heater at the store today, but they're all too big. Any suggestions?

I also thought about getting the thermometer sticker for the outside -- that was actually my original plan, but then I read the package and it said it was scientifically calibrated to read the temperature of an aquarium. And I realized that my jar might have thicker glass than a standard aquarium, and therefore inaccurate temp readings. So I got the one that sits in the water. It's very small and doesn't take up much room. The heater takes up 2-3 times more room, it's huge for Dobby's jar.

Thanks again, both of you!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #6 
bettafish15

Ohhh I see. Maybe get a new heater? 74 is when bettas start being listless. 78 is pretty much the ideal temp. Sucks that your heater isnt doing its job :/ It can get really cold at night, so no wonder he was in the sunshine in the morning... this is the heater that I use for my 14g, but is for up to 10g, so it should keep your tank nice, and its easy to adjust if it gets too warm. It works great, but isnt fully submersible so watch the water line indictor. It's also pretty small ^^

I see what you mean about the outside therm. sticker if you have thicker glass... makes sense. As long as its accurate then ^^

Your welcome! I'm a noob too :P
Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #7 
bettafish15

By "tank" I mean jar, btw xD Just 'cause the heater is rated up to 10g doesnt mean it wont work in smaller, of course. Just keep it on the lowest :)
Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #8 
FishyFriend1

I have the heater listed above in my 5 gal and its perfect but mine is a 25 watt and exactly the same apart from that
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:57 AM   #9 
Iziezi

I checked out that heater, and one of the reviews I found of it, the guy said after two weeks it had water in it, and exploded in his turtle's tank.

Yeah, so I kept browsing, and I think I've finally found a good heater, all 5 star reviews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product I'm going to see if I can get a refund from the manufacturer for the Tetra heater, since it's not working right.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #10 
Rain Drop

Ah, that's good then c:
Those holes should be fine.

I have 3 of those 25w elite mini heaters.....I must say, none of mine have exploded, but they can sometimes be a pain to adjust since there's just a dial. There are no numbers so you do have to guess. I would suggest the visitherm heaters. Though I don't own one, a lot of the members on this board looooooove them!!
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote