Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #1 
danifacetastic

Is my cleaning routine okay?

I have two one gallon tanks with one betta in each tank. It's the same tank and they have an airstone filter. I do a 100% water change every two weeks. Is this alright?
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #2 
ashleyy

I'm not quite sure what an air stone filter is. I always just heard of air stone bubblers.

If it is just a bubbler to add oxygen in the water, which bettas don't need. You need to be changing the water 100% every day or every other day.
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #3 
danifacetastic

It said on the box it came in that it was an undergravel filter system. I"m not sure. This is how I've been cleaning the tanks for months now.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #4 
danifacetastic

Top Fin&reg Aqua Scene Desktop Aquariums - Specialty Pets - Holiday Shop - PetSmart

This is the tank that I have. It says it has an undergravel filter.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #5 
JKfish

hmm, well if it has a filter, it might have cycled over time. However, even cycled tanks need to be cleaned at least once a week.

Do you have a water test kit?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #6 
danifacetastic

I don't. Do you reccomend just buying a new filter and getting rid of the tube thing?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #7 
bettafish15

The filter isnt the problem, its that you need to do more water changes to keep ammonia from building up and harming your fish. A test kit would aid you in figuring out how often to do water changes.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

In 1gal tank with UGF-I would recommend twice weekly 50% water changes to maintain water quality-with one of the water changes make deep gravel/substrate vacuuming to keep the UGF working properly-it is important to keep the plates clear so that the UGF will do its job.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

I agree with OFL. Even on a cycled 1 gallon you would still need two water changes a week.

The recommended tank size for a betta is 2.5 gallons, anything smaller and your looking at multiple water changes a week just because of the amount of ammonia the fish naturally produces.

Do you know what cycling is? You can go to our Betta Habitats section and look at the sticky on cycling. If you buy a test kit and are prepared to do a lot of water changes you can cycle the tank. Until you cycle I would recommend two 50% water changes and one 100% water change a week.

Here's a thread on how to cycle with the fish in the tank as opposed to cycling before getting the fish that may also be helpful.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #10 
danifacetastic

What I plan on doing this weekend is getting a 5 gallon tank and dividing it, buying a filter for the tank, buying an ammonia test kit and a gravel vacumn. Should this be okay? And I'll test the water everyday until ammonia shows up so I'll know how long I can go before I clean the tank.