Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #1 
Drift

Question Confounded...

I have no idea what happened. I turned the lights on to everyone this morning and they were all the same that they have been.
Crazy Swazi is missing his right pectoral fin. O.o It's gone.
When I got him his pelvic fin was missing, and half his caudal was missing and never grew back. (petco rescue) I've had him in this tank for a long time and changed nothing in it. I checked water params everything is great, good 80 degrees, no new deco's, etc. About 1 week ago I put Apollo on the other side. It's a 10 gallon I divided with black mesh. Swazi is always flaring at Apollo going back and forth 75% the time. Apollo only does so 25% the time.
My BF pointed out that he has a small hole in his caudal fin too. I thought that he might have blown it from flaring so much.
I have no idea how this happened other than if he bit it off himself? He's swimming around fine still. =/ I will be switching him with Dutch who is in a 5 gallon to himself. I just want to know if anyone's had this happen before?
Water will be kept pristine
I can't get a good picture because he is way too fast for my camera. Such a spaz.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #2 
Iziezi

Is it possible that his fin could have been torn off by the other fish through the mesh? I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I think I remember reading something like that on one of the other threads here...?
Iziezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:02 AM   #3 
small fry

I have never heard of such an enstance. Your male betta might have gotten really stressed from watching his rival for so long. Flaring gills is a tiresome job and it can tire out the betta quickly. It is not recommended that bettas show this type of behavior for more than 15 - 20 minutes a day.

He might have bit off his own fin, just because he was mad. Who knows!

I just don't think it is a good idea to have 2 bettas in the same 10g if they exibit that kind of behavior. Hope this helps!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #4 
Drift

That is the only thing that I can think of is that he bit it off.

I did remove him from that tank. Dutch and Apollo are in the divided and co-existing fine, and Swazi is in the 5 gallon on his own. He's just so neurotic always spazzing around everywhere.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote