Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2010, 04:49 AM   #1 
windfire

Red face ares becoming a tail biter?

so i was lying in bed this morning enjoying my tea and noticed that Ares tail is looking ragged on the top half like someone is taking chunks out of it. he still has the rays but the fin between them is gone, now i dont think its finrot as i dont see any white fungi but im thinking of dosing with tetra general med as it helped so much with his fin damage just after i got him. tail biting is suppose to be caused by boredom or stress and the only thing i can think of is that the lil cory in here is stressing him out when it gets too close to his bubble nest. so i think its time the cory move to the big tank, i cant think its boredom, i mean there is so much for him to explore in here. anyone else know of tailbiting causes? should i treat with the tetra?
windfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #2 
small fry

I assume you are talking about your betta. with such assumption, I write this post.

I have never used tetra meds. It is a good idea to know what you are treating, though. Avoid useing meds with melaleuca as an active ingredient (this is in Bettafix and Melafix), it can damage your bettas laberinth organ and make it more and more diffecult to breath. I would use stress coat (which isn't really a med), this will help rebuild the fins and the natural slime coat to help fight off secondary diesases or re-infection.

Your description sounds all to much like finrot to me. Would you say before today that his tail looked thin, transparent (see through), abnormally whiteish, or have any kinds of holes in it? Finrot strikes quickly with little or no warning.

The biggest recommendation I have is to do much more frequent water changes. Don't go overboard, though. Wouldn't want to send him into a mini-cycle.

Hope this helps!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #3 
windfire

jup he's a veiltail. nope he's been completely normal before now nothing different in his fins, i have used the tetra general med before when i got him, he was in a tank with another betta, and they'd been scrapping, the other one came off 2nd best but ares had a few chunks missing i treated them both with the meds for about a week and a half and he was all better the other took a lil longer.

theres nothing in here that could have nipped him, the other residents are some cherry shrimp, 3 khuli loaches and the cory. i'll do a water change when i get a break from my studying and since he's right at my desk i can keep an eye on him. i dont even think bettafix and melafix are available here. i also have some Bio Elite heal all which i could try, its a natural med with aloe ferox in, i could try it before pulling out the big guns. he still eats like a pig, builds his nest and chases the cory around whenever he gets too closeso other wise he's fine doesnt even seem lethargic.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #4 
Adastra

He doesn't need any medication if it's just a bit or rot or tail biting. Warm, clean water and a high protein diet are all he needs to recover. Medications, especially those awful "general" and "cure all" meds, in many cases are unnecessary and will only put more pressure on the fish's internal organs--slowing the healing process. Usually tail biting is caused by stress from poor water quality, fluctuating temperatures, tank mates, changes in water parameters, etc. Usually if you can pinpoint and remove the trigger that is stressing them out, they will stop. Sometimes the cause is not obvious, though. For instance, one of my tail biters did not like to be in complete darkness at night. It took me a long time to figure out, but ever since I added a dim nightlight to the room, he stopped. Another one did not like having an extra cave decoration taking up all the swimming space--as soon as I removed it, he stopped. You just have to go through a process of elimination.

Can you tell me more about the size of your tank, the frequency of water changes, and the tankmates he is with?

Last edited by Adastra; 11-11-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #5 
small fry

I feel so rediculus! Sorry, this was on the new post list on Tropical Fish Keeping. I didn't see that this was a betta catagory post. Wups!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #6 
windfire

well Adastra this is my 70L fully filtered with an internal canister and heated. its planted and i have new plants hopefully arriving this weekend which im pretty excited about. he was fine until i introduced the 2 cories, they only went in here to grow out abit before joining the rest of my cories in my community. one died, wedged himself in the corner behind the filter and i moved the other to the community today. he seems better already but that might be my imagination. my water changes are done once a week and about 20-30%. i will be doing a massive water change, probably on sunday as when i get my new plants i will have to drain as much of the water as possible to do the planting. my substrate is palm fibre peat capped with fine sand and if i plant with water still in the tank and dig too deep by accident i end up with the peat floating all over and making a mess. i'll probably return 50% old water to 50% aged dechlorinated water. the other inhabitants in the tank now are, cherry shrimp and 3 khuli loaches, no one that would fin nip so its not that.

no worries small fry