Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #1 
Fawnleaf

ADF shedding??

I know it's not about my fish, but my african dwarf frog looks sick. :( Her skins coming off like she's shedding, she's not eating and I found her floating in my little stone house thing. :( I'm worried, I what should I do??
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #2 
Adastra

ADFs are extremely sensitive to water quality and changes in water parameters. Shedding can be a sign that your water is not as clean as it should be, or that something has drastically changed since your last water change, such as the source, or additives. I would do a large water change and get a sample of the old water tested either using a master test kit or by taking a water sample to the pet store for a free test.

Frogs simply do not tolerate high nitrates or any amount of ammonia, and they need to be acclimated to new water very slowly and gently. They are also sensitive to salt, copper sulfate, and any kind of medication.

They are also temperature sensitive, so you need to keep the temperature of the tank in the betta's low range, around 76 degrees--definitely not around 80 degrees or higher.

Can you tell me more about the size of the tank, the temp, frequency of changes, and how/what you're feeding him? Is this the only ADF in the tank?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #3 
Fawnleaf

He is in a 3 gallon tank with one male betta. No other ADFs. I was going to get him a buddy but was scared the new one might get sick if it was contagious. I did a scheduled 80% water change today. I have not changed the water quality / additives since I got her. :/ She just started two days ago. Is it dangerous to her to shed?
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote