Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #1 
MystressRose

Exclamation Help, help, help!

Okay. So I was absent from work for about 12 days due to illness. When I returned, my two bettas, Penny (approx 2 yr old) and Draven (unknown but had him for 4 mo) were exhibiting swim bladder problems, isolation, stress stripes, and inactivity. I noticed what looked like soap bubbles in their tanks so I immediately transferred them to new smaller quarantine tanks. Then I began their fast as prescribed for swim bladder problems due to over feeding. No improvements. I attempted to feed them again in hopes of activity, but to no avail. Penny was hanging around his live plant and not venturing out for anything. He became emaciated and had started to loose color. It appears he has velvet. I have since used acriflavine in his water as suggested by the aquarium store and transferred him to a shallow dish so he can breathe easier. He has since begun eating two bloodworms, two days in a row. HOWEVER, when I tried to do the same with my second betta Draven, he has since started to exhibit raised scales (mild Pine-coneing), laying on his side and I think a white spot on his fin that he lays on. When I try to look, he becomes aggressive and attacks. He also won't eat and it has been a week since I quarantined them. The site says it maybe a bacterial infection, but wouldn't the acriflavine have helped?
Housing
What size is your tank? Penny-14 gal/Draven-10 gal
What temperature is your tank? Was between 72 & 74
Does your tank have a filter? Yes to both however Penny hates his so I don't use his.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No They would attack them.
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets 3-5 five days a week with weekend fasts and an occasional blood worm treat. Three days before absence gave each a half brine shrimp cube.
How often do you feed your betta fish? stated above

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Normally a 50% a week, but none while away.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? stated above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No due to the possibility of soap contamination, I immediately put them in quarantine with a 75% water change.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
MystressRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish ailments, fish diseases, fish problems