Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #1 
akjadestar

Churro, my new rescue!

OK, so I don't know if this can quite be considered an EMERGENCY, but the rescue betta I brought home from my classroom isn't looking soo hot... I mean for a betta who was in visibly dirty water with a goldfish since the beginning of the school year, with kids dumping real food into his tank, he's doing awesome now. But... he probably suffered really bad fin rot and ammonia burns on his gills and body too... Okay well I'll just answer the forums questions:

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons, for now, until I finish setting up and cycling my 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75 F, that's all my mini heater would heat it up to, but before he didn't even have a heater, so...
Does your tank have a filter? No, the temporary tank doesn't
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes, but the heater I'm using for now isn't very good :/
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He did live with a goldfish until just yesterday when I took him home.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tropical fish flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Well, I just fed him a bit this morning, first time since I brought him home, but before today, heck, him and the goldfish got fed way too much five times a day (morons in my class)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Planning on doing one or two half changes every day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I WILL do 50% but haven't done any changes yet
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner and a bit of aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's a rescue so I never saw him before he got sick but the edges of his scales are blackened and his gills are black too and you can see his gills (or some sort of black thing) come in and out when he breathes, I don't know if that's normal... his fins are sometimes clamped and folded over, one of his ventral fins seemed burned, it's thinner than the other and has some black on it.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Well, his behaviour seems totally perfect. He's really active, but in a good way. Not flipping out and scratching against stuff but swimming around peacefully and gracefully like a betta should, sometimes flaring at his reflection.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He's a rescue, so it's not something I noticed recently.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't, unless using a bit of aquarium salt counts, and using special water conditioner which has healing powers.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not sure, but seeing the tank he was in before, I'd just say he had probably been sick for a WHILE...
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'd say at least 6 months???

Below is a picture so you can see, the last picture I uploaded of him he looked just a bit brighter orange than he actually is, but mainly you couldn't tell about the blackness around the areas of his gills and on the edges of his scales. This picture I took without flash, now he's probably a bit more bright than he is in this picture below. I think that his fins are nice and fine, if he had fin rot you can hardly tell, except for that bit I mentioned about his ventral fin... mainly it seems whatever disease he has, or had, is attacking his gills and scales... but the weird part is, sounds like parasites right? But he's not acting itchy or anything. Like I said, he's just swimming around gracefully. In case he has anything that might get infected, I will do a half change at least once a day

(ohhhh! by the way, it totally looks like his tail fin is missing in this picture! don't worry, it's definitely not! it's just the lighting, it's all shadowed)

Last edited by akjadestar; 11-11-2010 at 02:32 PM.
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #2 
Adastra

His coloration is normal for an extended red betta. Almost all of them have black edging to the scales and a dark gill beard, so don't worry about it too much. :) I would be most concerned about the fact that he was living with a feeder goldfish--some of the most diseased animals in the pet trade. It's very possible that your betta has contracted internal parasites from the goldfish, if it were me, I'd give him a precautionary de-lousing, with either a medicated anti-parasite food or a dissolving tablet. Many people do this as a precaution when they get new fish--the medication (praziquantel and metronidazole) used to kill internal parasites seems to be quite mild and fish respond very well to treatment.

Other than that, I think all you should do is do your best to keep the water clean and consistent. Raising the temperature slowly is not a bad thing, but later on it might be a good idea to move him to the warmest area of your house away from vents, windows/doors, electronics, sunlight, etc. You should only need to do 100% changes every 3 days to keep his water clean.

You should also switch him over to some higher quality pellet food and supplement with frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, or daphnia. Flakes are more difficult to digest and are often nutritionally lacking. A quality high protein diet will help him recover faster.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #3 
akjadestar

Buying pellets instead would be no problem! Anyways, looking at the ever popular betta website, bettatalk.com I found out a disease that he MAY be suffering from... maybe... It's on the bottom of the betta diseases page... Inflamed gills:
About it? The gill or gills of a betta may become inflamed, because of nitrate poisoning, and possibly bacterial infections, or even a defective gill
I wouldn't be surprised if the little guy got it from nitrate or ammonia poisoning or some kind of bacterial infection, goldfish let out lots of ammonia and stuff apparently, and bacteria? Well, his water was so dirty it smelled bad.
Symptoms?
One or both gills will not close all the way (look at betta from the top it is easier to see it then), gills may look red on the inside (inflamed) or not, in the last stages, the betta may be gasping for air, unable to breath and ultimately die. I've looked at the top and I can see the black edges but they don't stick out too much, but also when he was with the goldfish and he's always flare at it, and I could see red beneath his gills... and though I haven't really checked... I remember noticing before his mouth slowly and barely noticably, opening and closing, like he was gasping in and out. but he still breathes from the surface like normal... but do you think he's had internal parasites and some kind of infection linked to it that harmed his gills?
Old 11-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #4 
Adastra

I don't think it's anything major, really. Perhaps some inflammation due to poor water quality, but his gill flaps don't look bad. Inflammation of the gills is a side effect of poor water quality and would not be linked to internal parasites the goldfish might've passed on to the betta. Either way, it doesn't seem to have severely affected him, so just keep the water clean and he should heal up by himself. You could wait on the dewormer until you think he's feeling better.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #5 
akjadestar

Okay, but I'm not sure where to buy those dewormers or if I have enough? Can I just get them off of a pet store shelf or do I need it to get like, prescribed or something? And about how much are they?
Anyways, if I could, could I skip the medicated stuff? If I just changed his water every few days and gave him a bit of aquarium salt, and bought more healthy pellet food, would it help? Because if the medicine is more than 20 dollars, well, I'd much rather just get on with buying everything in order to finally finish my ten gallon. And surely once he's in a warm filtered 10 gallon with live plants all around him that could help?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #6 
Adastra

A dewormer is just a precaution, there is a possibility he's not even infested. You can easily purchase a dissolving tablet at a pet store, like Jungle's Parasite Clear for like $8USD or so. They also manufacture a medicated food, but I'm not sure how much it costs. It's not hard to find, just look for the ingredients Praziquantel and Metronidazole.

If price is an issue for you, you could wait and see if he shows you more definite symptoms before you decide to treat. Since he was with a feeder fish before, I would take the precaution, but it's not 100% necessary.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #7 
akjadestar

Ok... I might just try and find it... but if he's really not sick, will the medicine harm him since he didn't need it?
Old 11-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #8 
Adastra

I wouldn't ever suggest needlessly medicating with something like malachite green or any kind of antibiotic, but praziquantel is very gentle and the fish don't seem to suffer any adverse side-effects from taking it. I usually use it as a precaution when I'm adding a fish that's been exposed to poor living conditions to a divided tank or community tank.