Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #1 
DazzleKitty

I think I did something bad....

Hey guys,

New betta owner here.

I've always been under the assumption that bettas are fine in super small tanks, yet I've felt major sympathy for the ones at Wal-Mart kept in plastic tubs. While at the store today, I made an impulse buy to take one of these little guys home, and bought this tank (shown in the two links below).

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/1045...ws/reviews.htm

http://www.ioffer.com/i/penn-plax-be...-bbt3-72024621

I have been giving him free run of the whole tank without the divider. But reading the reviews and educating myself some more tonight on betta care, I feel like I gave him a home that is nearly as bad as his previous little plastic up.

I feel really sad when looking at him now, though. Like perhaps he'll get bored and depressed in his tank. Even unhealthy, too.

Apparently, bettas need a gallon to be happy. Does this mean the tank must be filtered? I could probably find a clear bowl that would handle a about a gallon and decore it with some nice fake plants and rocks. And of course, do some weekly cleaning on it.

Do you guys think it would be best for him? Or do you think he may be okay in that tank?

I go out of town on Friday to Sunday and my dad will be feeding him for me. I won't be able to get a bigger bowl until I get back. Do you think he will be okay until then?

Thanks in advance for any help given.
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #2 
bettafish15

A 2.5 gallon tank would be best (at LEAST - bigger is better!), you'd have room for a filter and heater for the little guy. But with the smaller tank you'd have to do water changes EVERY DAY as opposed to every other day or even weekly with a bigger tank and filter.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

A filter is more for the ease of the owner--In a big tank with a filter it helps keep it a little cleaner..You still need to do waterchanges and stuff, but not as much as in a tank without a filter! In that little tank you'll need to change the water everyday..which is a pain, and if you don't do it it just hurts him...

The bigger the better, I have a baby little 3 month old betta in a 5 gallon tank..it's awesome, he uses every inch of that tank!! Also live plants help keep up water quality!

In the wild they would have thousands of gallons..even if the water is shallow, it's a lot of room for clean clean water! The smaller the tank, the faster it gets dirty! I prefer 5 gallon tanks, they are a nice size and give you room to decorate, but I see people here with 2.5 gallon tanks/bowls/jars...

The other thing is HEAT! Bettas need to be in warm water, like 78 degrees! A heater will work best in 2 gallons or more!

Last edited by purplemuffin; 11-08-2010 at 11:37 PM.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #4 
DazzleKitty

Thank you for the response, guys. They are greatly appreciated.

I think I could find some a two gallon container of some sorts until I can ugrade to something better. At least it'll give them more room. With me being out of town for three days and not being able to upgrade until I get back, I'm really worried about him. :(
What are the chances of him surviving?

With a big contained with a couple of gallons and no filter, are water changes needed everyday still? Or can you go with once a week?
I know it seems like I am trying to go the easier possible route. I'm a little intimidated with the information I found.
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:53 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

He should be ok, just maybe not feeling too hot. People sometimes keep TWO in that size tank, and barely change the water at all!

Easiest route is a cycled tank, but that would take time... I say get a 5 gallon, you'll need to do weekly water changes, like 25% a week, twice a month do a 100% water change since the tank is not cycled(I think that's the rule, right guys?)

The best thing you can do for him when you get him in a bigger tank is get a heater! :) When they are warm they show their prettiest colors, swim the most, and resist diseases.. They come from tropical conditions!
Old 11-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #6 
nomoretickets

walmart should have a 10 gallon tank for like $12. that and a decent adjustable heater (not the kind at walmart) and he will be suuuuuuuuuuuuper happy. It wont be filtered but it gives him more room, and is cheaper than most of the 2.5-5.5 gallon set ups (all around $30-40 around here where i live and online). The 10 gallon gives you options and its big enough to dilute the ammonia down a lot so if you leave for a few days its not gonna be terrible for him (plus you can cycle it later when you get a filter). I have all my bettas in these cheep 10 gallons with adjustable 50 Watt heaters and they love them.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:45 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

10 gallon tanks are so cheap! They're like $8 here. When it's time to use one I just put plastic wrap over it.

Also the Tetra preset heaters work well and are cheap.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:10 AM   #8 
nomoretickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
10 gallon tanks are so cheap! They're like $8 here.
wow!

what i like is that the 2.5 gallon tanks at petsmart are $13.xx while the 10 gallon on the same shelf is $12.xx... why cant the 2.5 be like $5
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:08 AM   #9 
Duncan13

I can buy great quality 10 gallon tanks here in China for like 40 RMB which is like $6. Everything is cheaper in China, but a lot of stuff is fake!
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #10 
purplemuffin

ten gallon is like the standard cheap tank, I didn't even know they made 5 gallon tanks until I came to this forum..I think we pay for convenience, they are 'popular' and small, fit nicely in a room... and I know it's harder to cut glass in smaller pieces, bigger chance of shattering it seems... plus they are all kits! If there was just a plain 5 gallon they would be cheaper... maybe.