Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #1 
danifacetastic

What Do I Need For This Air Pump

Top Fin&#0174 Air Pump AIR 1000-8000 - Air Pumps & Accessories - Fish - PetSmart

Do I need to get tubing or what?

The pump that WAS in my tank (I'm getting a new tank this weekend) was a cylindrical tube that you slid airline tubing with an airstone on the end down into.

How does this one work?
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #2 
danifacetastic

Or could my old air pump work with my new aquarium? How can I tell if it will be powerful enough? It came with my one gallon tanks.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

Well you're gonna wanna look at the packaging. It should say up to 5 gallons, up to 15 gallons, or up to 30 gallons.
You'll want one that's up to 5. =]

What you're talking about sound like an under-gravel filter. :/ Those aren't all that great. in fact they're pretty much useless and can often cause more trouble than they're worth.

If you'd like a better filter I suggest getting a Tetra Whisper 3i filter! =]

A filter in anything less than 2 gallons is pretty much a waste of time because you can't cycle it anyway. So I wouldn't waste the money on a new air pump (if yours is broken) or a new filter. I'd just take out the under-gravel one and the gravel in your tank. Then I'd just keep the tank bare bottom and do the required every-other-day 100% changes that are required for 1 gallon tanks. =]

If you actually have something bigger than a 1 gallon (say a 2 gallon or up) then you can go ahead and pick up the tetra whisper filter, a new air pump (if yours is broken) some airline, a "T" valve (or something like it that lets you adjust airflow), and you'll be set to go! =]

If you need a picture of how to set up your air pump and tubing ect I've got one I can show you! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Undergravels are excellent bio filters in larger tanks but useless in small tanks.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #5 
danifacetastic

My post probably didn't make since. I dont' have a filter in my tanks now...they're one gallon tanks. They game with an air pump. It doesn't say what it's good for so I'm HOPING it'll work in my new tank. I'm getting a 10 gallon tank this weekend to divide in 3 for bettas. My old air pump came with a cylindrical plastic tube that you could slide the airline tubing and the stone into so the airflow of bubbles was directed towards the top of the water...I'm wondering if this could work with my new tank or if I'll have to get a new air pump. I'm getting a filter for the tank too.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

It'll work in the bigger tank, or at least is should. Also you DO have a filter. Did your tank come with a piece that goes on the bottom with slits and is connected to the cylindrical tube for the airline tubing?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #7 
danifacetastic

Yeah. I took that out today though when I cleaned the tank. I'm getting the new tank this weekend.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

Then you had an undergravel filter. Basicly all you need to work an airpump is airline tubing and electricity.