Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #1 
Sprite

I HATE myself right now.....

Kind of a new poster here, but not really. I was one of those who posted here before asking about a 2.5 gallon tank and being told that 2 fish it was too much.

I couldn't get my non-betta fish back today, and I wouldn't be able to do for days due to circumstances and no money. He was literally being eaten alive by my betta and I felt sorry for him.

My mom used to be really into raising fish and she said the best thing for it would be to put it down and end its misery. She used to do this for horribly bullied fish by putting them in a cup of water full of table salt. She said it killed them instantly.

Well, it didn't kill it instantly. I felt horrified and put him back in the tank. But he wasn't moving much and the betta was really at it. So I fished him out and finished it, though it seemed slow.

I feel awful. It would have been better for me to just throw him in my neighbors pond or something. Or even go door to door to try to give him up.

I was hesitant to do it anyways and now I just feel like crap. Like I shouldn't even own fish.

I have bad luck with a lot of my animals. Had to give a loved dog back to his owner a couple years ago. I'm surprised my Chihuahua has been able to be with me for five years without croaking.

I just wanted to post this. I feel detestable and want to cry.
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #2 
scootshoot

Well like they say, live and learn from your mistakes and move forward.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:57 AM   #3 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I agree with scoot. Now you know. =/

I wish I had something nicer to say, but I just dont agree with what you did.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #4 
TaylorW

Well, sometimes we have to learn things the hard way... At least you can learn from this...

I am not sure why you felt the need to kill it or why you thought salt would work, but at least you know better now...
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #5 
JKfish

I'm sorry you had to learn that way. If it helps any, all of us have made some mistake or another regarding fish, which is the reason a good chunk of us found our way to this website. :( There are many what ifs in a situation. Now would be a good time to try and get rid of them and try not to worry too much, seeing as it is already done. Sometimes logic is impaired in stressful situations, at the time your mom's advise was probably the best you had.

If you ever find yourself in a similar situation where there is agression, remove one or the other fish. While you might not feel the same way, I feel that if you try hard enough, you can save a fish, very rarely is it too late.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #6 
Jupiter

I'm sorry about your fish and your experience. :(
Hopefully you will have learned something from it, since we all should learn from our mistakes (myself included). Table salt will not kill your fish though...in case you ever need to euthanize a fish again (which hopefully won't happen), look into the clove oil/vodka method.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #7 
atteb

Hello, don't beat yourself up. Life is a learing lesson all the way. If there is one thing you can gain from all this is to do research, these forums are great places to ask and get info back. I have been in this hobby for over 20+ years and still don't know everything, I never will. I love to read and research and of course ask lots of questions. Don't give up on keeping fish, they are a great past time.

atteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #8 
Sprite

Thanks a lot, guys. I do feel a bit better about it after your kind words. I was a bit scared to read the responses which is why it took me a bit to respond.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #9 
Sprite

Also, I won't be posting under this username anymore. It was just a temporary and I will be using my other one. I just didn't want to admit it under that one because I felt ashamed and didn't wanna be chased off. :(
Old 11-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #10 
Panthera

Well the fact that you created another username in order not to be chased off the forums should tell you that you screwed up. But as others said, you learn from it, and hopefully will never let anything like that happen again.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote