Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #1 
sayurasem

any betta scientist here?

hi, i wanna breed my betta.
so far i have veil, crowntail, and halfmoon for males.

i've been looking around for females but no one has them.. except petco!!
they even have double tail females and crowntail female!!
well i wanna know whats the best combination on bettas to make the most beutifulest offsprings!

any opinions?
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Don't breed petstore fish. Order a pair of bettas from a breeder...preferably a brother and sister pair. Try www.aquabid.com .
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Agreed. While some old time breeders do occasionally use fish from pet stores it is only because they know so much about genetics that they feel safe using a fish from unknown origins.

For your first spawn I highly recommend getting either an HM or HMPK pair from a quality breeder. Start out with quality fish and you'll get quality results. If you don't believe me look at my spawn logs... good fish good spawns.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Also, make sure you have done your research about breeding so you'll be prepared, if you haven't done so already.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #5 
aleXander

+1 on not breeding store bought bettas.
aleXander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #6 
baylee767

I agree with everyone else, no store bought breeders. Also, don't breed any Veiltails or the poor little frys never find a home )= Best to do Hafmoon since it's the most popular, or Crowntail or Double tail. Plakats kinda iffy IMO when it comes to popularity. So basically breed popular tails from Bettas bought from a breeder/online and research and you'll be fine.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

On the flip side of things and depending on how much of a challenge you want.......
Nothing wrong with pet shop bettas as compared to high priced aquabid fish...it is all in what you want and how brave you are and how much time you have....beside the odds of you getting more than a dozen fry to adults is slim...even with high priced breeding pair all you are doing is continuing someone else line for one and two, even with the high priced pair most only get a dozen or so fry and fewer to adult...if you like what you have and have the right setup..go for it.....experience the spawn and once you see that this is something you really want to do...get that high priced breeding pair, join the IBC, get a mentor and start showing your offspring....

and have fun....that is what is it all about anyway.......FUN.......

My views differ from several breeders that support other breeders and/or IBC members....but if you are just learning..... the pet shop betta is the best one to start out with....IMO/E.....it is amazing what you can create with the unknown....more of a challenge.....not knowing what you will get is half the fun.......but be prepared...have the right setup, foods...etc......be responsible and respectful of the breeders and offspring....you never know...and you do have to think about the rare success of having hundreds of fry and what you will do with all of them......although rare...........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

Pet store bettas are the easiest to breed. Personally I'm a fan of HMPKs and DTs.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #9 
Alex09

Before you attempt to breed Bettas, Know it's a rather challenging, expensive, research intensive, and potentially frustrating process. I'm not sure but judging by your mutilation of the English language, I assume you are a kid. Or maybe English is just your second language. I dont know, so I hope I don't come across as judgmental.

Anyhow, I am not a breeder but here is an article that sounds about right.
http://joshday.com/howtobreedbettafish.htm
Hopefully others can help you out.

Last edited by Alex09; 11-24-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:04 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

I'm not convinced pet store bettas are any easier to breed than any other betta. That's not something you can really qualify since there are so many factors that go into a successful spawn. I've had 4 successful spawns all with high quality fish and I know there are members on this forum that have multiple unsuccessful spawns using pet store fish. That's not saying pet store fish are harder to spawn but it goes to show that you can never really say one is easier than the other, just as you can never say one tail type breeds easier than another.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote