Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #1 
spangle

new female betta

Hi
This is my first post to this site so forgive me if i come across as stupid!!! I got a female betta the other day and put her in my community tank, she seems fine and no-one is bothering her etc, but she doesn't seem as lively as my males. Was wondering if she would be better off in my 80ish litre tank (uk litres) on her own, the tank is cycled and is home to my apple snails but i can move them about if needs be. What do you all think? Thank you for taking the time to read this.
spangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #2 
Panthera

Hey welcome to the forums! Well sometimes it just takes time for Betta's to adjust to their new tanks, and they won't do much or swim around because of the sudden change. I just got my new Betta Polaris on Wednesday and he's just now starting to liven up a bit tonight.

I would wait about a week to see how she reacts to the community tank. If she is still not doing much, then try switching her to the 80 liters. If she does liven up though, I wouldn't move her, might cause to much stress. Congrats!
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #3 
spangle

Well decided to move her tonight and she seems to be enjoying her tank. It is about nearly 20 uk gallons so she has plenty of space to explore. Am debating whether to get her any friends and have a female betta tank but not really had any experience with them. So will have a good think about it for a while.
spangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

:) You can do a betta sorority but those can be tricky!! You'd need at least 4-6 minimum, they'd all have to be around the same age(young) and even then they could still fight! It's a headache but worth it in the end if it goes well--but for now I say she's cool on her own :D
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #5 
DaEvangelist

Welcome to the forums!

You can search on this forum for threads on betta sororities. They usually fight a little bit in the beginning to sort out a pecking order and after that they're fine. It's best to add all of them at the same time as the bettas that have been in the tank for a while might gang up and attack a newcomer.
DaEvangelist is offline   Reply With Quote