Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #1 
FishyFriend1

Am I clean often enough?

Okay, i feel really stupid asking this question.
I do a 50% water change once every week in my 5 gallon hex.
Is this "safe" in terms of my fishie?
I use a siphon to take in and out the water.
I ALWAYS Put in conditioner and salt.

So the reason i am asking this is because my dad said i had to teach my older sister how to change her fishes tank before it suffocates. it got me thinking...
Am i doing frequent enough water changes?

P.S I have one betta in my tank.
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #2 
akjadestar

Yep, totally fine!
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #3 
FishyFriend1

Okay, i think i have forgotten to mention that i only have about 4 gallons of water in my 5 gallon tank. If that makes sense.
Is it still okay?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #4 
bettafish15

I think so ^^ Btw, you dont need to add the salt everytime :) It's really for healing purposes (so i'm told) only.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #5 
MizzVamp115

That sounds like a good schedule, but you don't need to put the salt in everytime. It can eventually hurt your betta's organs and they start building an immunity to it so it stops working for healing purposes.
MizzVamp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Is the tank filtered?
In a filtered 5gal 50% weekly with substrate cleaning should be enough-provided that you don't over feed and uneaten food is removed after feeding-watch the fish and if he seems sluggish, fins start to look bad or stops eating-this tells you that more water changes are needed.

In a unfiltered tank-I would would do twice weekly 50% and monthly 100%-again watch the fish-they are the best indicators of poor water quality issues

As posted you don't want or need long term aquarium salt-especially in low doses-you can create resistant pathogen/parasite and when you need to use salt as a treatment it may not be effective-long term salt also can cause internal damage to some species and you will see bloat issues for no reason due to system shut down and kidney damage.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #7 
Adastra

I agree with not salting the tank. Salt is something that you use for your betta after a superficial injury such as fin damage for about a week, not something you should be using all the time.

Personally, I err on the side of caution--if the tank is not filtered or cycled, I would do one 100% water change every week. If you want to filter and cycle the tank, research the nitrogen cycle and purchase a good liquid master test kit. Only the test kit can tell you for sure when ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels have reached the point where a change is necessary. It is an invaluable tool for any aquarist--we can estimate up and down all day, but testing your water with a good liquid test kit (not dip strips) will give you certainty. After testing a few times, you will get an idea of how long you will be able to go without changing.

When and if your tank is fully cycled, you will no longer have to do any 100% water changes, only a partial change once a week.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #8 
FishyFriend1

Well right now i am treating him with salt because he ripped his fins on my plastic plants.
I have dip strips right now and i thought they worked fine....
So salt only to heal?
Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #9 
bettafish15

The dip strips work fine yes, but they arent that accurate and can give you bogus results. Yes, salt only to heal :) The info about his ripped fins woulda been helpful in the beginning :P We could have told you sooner that most plastic plants will rip your bettas fins, and that you need to get silk ones instead.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #10 
FishyFriend1

yes i am trying to get some silk plants i just can't find any but i haven't really looked too hard. Pics will follow.