Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #1 
Iziezi

Smile What's Your Betta's Personality?

I'm having so much fun watching Dobby swim, and interacting with him. He's kind of shy, but he always swims over to the glass to say "Hi" when I come in the room. When I trace my finger over the glass, sometimes he swims away scared, and other times he'll follow my finger. When he's shy, he pulls in his dorsal fin really close, and swim backwards. When he's investigative, his dorsal fin stands up a bit more. He likes to flutter his pec fins a lot, especially when he's excited.

How about you? What's your Betta's personality?
Iziezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #2 
fleetfish

Okay I have lots of fishies :)

Lulu ~ Is like a little ditzy cheerleader. She is ALWAYS excited to see me no matter what I do, and gets extremely hyper.
Razz ~ Is laid back, sweet natured. He likes to follow fingers and bite them ferociously.
Galli ~ Is a chicken, a total chicken.
Lamorak ~ Is not a chicken, but he likes his little hideys, and will flare on command (apparently)
Sigma ~ Is a fine old gentleman. He is always strutting his stuff, blowing nests, charming his mates.
Theta ~ The Champion of Bubblenests. and he knows it too.
Augustus ~ My fighter, always flaring. He flares at the drop of a pin.
Om ~ Shy, curious, very sweet. Loves to dance and take swims on the beach at sunset. He's my Romantic Painter.
Pallas ~ He loves his foods, and is always begging. Quite a jumper. VERY curious about the world outside his tank.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #3 
AngelicScars

Solace is just silly and loves food (like all bettas). She will jump for her food if you take too long dropping it!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:09 AM   #4 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

My betta is actually kind of grouchy. He just prowls his tank all day, stares at me, flares at my boyfriend, then goes back to prowling. =]
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:39 AM   #5 
DazzleKitty

I didn't realize how smart these fish seem to be. When I stand in front of my betta's tank, he actually seems to know I'm there. I guess from staring out the glass, he knows another being has just shown up and is curious? He'll hang around the front of his tank as long as I'm there. When I touch the tank he swims backward quickly. I think he's a bit timid. Sometimes you can tell he follows my finger with his eyes but he doesn't like me suddenly putting it in front of him. Funnily enough, he doesn't seem to mind when I stick in his tank. He looks up at it. I guess he asssociates it with food.

He WILL flare if I show him a mirror. He really loves to fight. He gets vicious!
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #6 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Oh yes they are SUPER smart! My guy wont eat his pellet unless I step away from the tank, and he watches me walk away. lol!
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #7 
Iziezi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzleKitty View Post
... When I touch the tank he swims backward quickly. I think he's a bit timid. Sometimes you can tell he follows my finger with his eyes but he doesn't like me suddenly putting it in front of him. Funnily enough, he doesn't seem to mind when I stick in his tank. He looks up at it. I guess he asssociates it with food.

He WILL flare if I show him a mirror. He really loves to fight. He gets vicious!
Dobby is the same way when I put my finger on the glass. I usually don't put it right in front of him cuz it scares him, but when I trace my finger across the glass, sometimes he just watches it with his eyes, sometimes he'll swim and follow (from a safe distance), sometimes he'll even flare his gills. Other times he follows for a moment, and then swims away scared and hides in the plants or his pagoda.

When I put a mirror next to the glass, Dobby will flare and swim all agitated for a few minutes, but then it's like he figures out it's a mirror and not really another betta, cuz he'll just swim away to the other side, put his fins down, and just sits there. "This is a waste of time. I can't be bothered anymore." LOL!
Iziezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:15 AM   #8 
eclover09

Valentine - He's a mofo, he's just a mean old grouch lol. Ive had him almost for two years now and he ALWAYS flares, when I feed him, when he sees me, he's very protective. He's also King of the bubblenests, he just builds and builds and builds untill he covers the whole top of his ten gallon tank.

Laborday - He's a little...odd. He used to be really laid back, but he got attitude after about a month of being with me, though he's not anywhere near as bad as Valentine. He's just kinda spastic, and he likes to try and start fights with Valentine since there in a divided tank but Valentine just never wants anything to do with him haha. He's kinda like those punk kids who think there all that, but there really not lol.

Veteran - He's a hungry, hungry hippo. I have him in my room and every morning when I sit up, he goes straight over near me and starts wiggling around for food. And when I feed him instead of just grabbing the food like normal, he flails and jumps to grab it like it's out of his reach or something lol he'll also eat it from my finger. He just likes to prowl his tank and I can't ever stick my hands in the tank to like adjust wisteria or anything, because he'll "bite" my fingers, its funny.

Christmas - For such a small fish that doesn't do much, he has LOADS of personality. Anybody that see's him just loves him. He has a "wiggle butt" and if Veteran is a hungry hippo, Christmas is ten times worse, he literally jumps to get his food when I open the slot on the top of the tank. He's just adorable and he's a fast little swimmer.

Thanksgiving - Very shy, and he HATES any objects near his tank, he flares and charges like crazy. He doesn't really like to be bothered or watched, so we kinda just leave him alone to swim around. I hope maybe the longer I have him the more he'll open up, but for now he's content being a hermit lol

Memorialday - A camera *****, he LOVES attention and the camera and poses like a diva. He's a bit neurotic though, he's an awful tank surfer -.- If anyone leans in to look at him, he eyes them like he's gonna kill 'em lol.
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #9 
Jupiter

Janus, ah...after Renard (RIP) he's definitely one of my favourites.

He's a pretty docile guy. When I had him split in a tank between Othello and Narcissus, he wouldn't flare at all. Even when Othello died and Narcissus moved next to him (which caused him to flare for the first time), Janus could care less. He doesn't even flare at his own reflection.

At the same time though, he's pretty skittish. he doesn't like the camera at all, I can never manage to get good pictures of him in this new tank.

He's so curious about everything. he does a comical little head tilt whenever he sees something new. He needs to explore EVERYTHING with his mouth. Peck first, ask questions later. Which is why I'm a little antsy about adding shrimp to his tank...even though he seems to be a really mellow guy, I think his curiousity will lead to some serious shrimp mauling.

He's also very interested in the Miku figure I have next to his tank. He spends a lot of time gazing at it or swimming laps around it. I guess my betta's also a Vocaloid fan like me.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #10 
dragonfair

My boys have tons of personality! Theyre all different and, after lots of initial stress, are happy enough to build bubble nests. Yay!

Maximus - emperor of his domain. So much so that I can't bring myself to put him in anything smaller than a 10 gallon. He will sit still and watch everything that goes on and if I go near the tank, he poses. Once I baffled the filter enough, he built the most massive bubble nest I've ever seen and he's more aggressive more likely to jump out of the water than before. The others will get in the way of my fingers when Im doing something to the tank, but he will go to the far corner and turn away until Im done.

Bravo - kind of like a nervous little dog. I half expect him to have coffee hidden in his tank somewhere (maybe I should change his name to Espresso). He paces the front of his 10 gallon and wiggles frantically if he thinks I'm paying attention to him. When I feed him, he gets so excited he jumps, usually missing the food entirely or landing on it until distract him with my finger. He loves to hang out on the suction cup of the heater or up under the HOB filter.

Mango - totally mellow. Never gets excited, but he loves attention. He likes to follow my finger while trying to not look like he is. He also likes to sit on top of the horizontal heater. Huh. Hes in a 3 gal & I hope to move him to a 5 gal filtered in April.

Uncle Sam - Not really sure about him... he seems to change personalities. Right now he's pretty mellow in his own 3 gallon tank. He loves attention, but too much will stress him out. When people come over I usually block his view or move him to a corner out of the way where he can still see but no one bothers him. Hes a recovering tail-biter. (Hi, my name is Uncle Sam and Im a tail-biter.) Hes also in a 3 gal & I hope to move him to a 5 gal filtered tank in April.

It seems like I learn something new about their personalities every day!
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote