Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #1 
ParisRose

First Snow

Alright so I'm a little low on cash ( minimum wage and my sax needs repaired)
and it snowed tonight. I can't keep my room warm because we don't have a humidifier and it will get dry to the point it messes with my health. So I went out today and bought a cheap heater. It's adjustable. It's a 50 watt top fin. I've heard some bad things about it but all the information I can find seems out dated. I was wondering if any of you had any insight to this. Right now I have it right on medium and it's supposed to shut off when it hits 78 degrees.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #2 
Moldau

Sorry, I've never had that heater so I can't tell you anything about it, but I would at least get a thermometer so you can keep an eye on the temperature. Make sure it stays around 78 to 82 degrees F without fluctuating. If this heater doesn't do that, you need to get a more reliable one as soon as possible. I hope things work out for you.
Moldau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #3 
celine18

i have a topfin 50 watt, it's awesome! i have it in my 10 gal that i'm cycling, so i have the temp cranked up to 84-85 to help the bacteria grow, and it keeps it solidly up there, even in the cold nights we've been having lately. i think it's a good deal, but idk for long-term, i've only had it for about a month.
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #4 
ParisRose

Does yours ever make noises? Mine makes a noise every so often.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #5 
celine18

no, i don't know why a heater would make noise, unless it was deffective. i think you should return it before it causes problems.
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #6 
JaspersANGEL

I need to do research on it but I think it's the same heater or should I say heater's as I had..yes had alot of problems with petsmart heaters.
Basically they all worked bad, and yes they made this awful rattling sound and barely heated anything. I brought them back, and then made a rule to never get fish supplies from them again.

A heater is not really something you wanna go cheap on, get a good one and u can leave the house with a clean conscience and not worry all day for ur fish.

I recommend, and alot of the other member's recommend this heater too:
its the Hydor Theo line.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #7 
ParisRose

I'll test this one out. It will be easier to tell when he recovers i think.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would get a thermometer, like Moldau said and keep an eye on the temperature of the tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #9 
atteb

Just make sure you pay really close attention to these heaters, I had one for my 46 gal Discus tank. The thermostate was insane on this thing and it would go all over the place. When I exchanged it for a new one same thing. Watch it carefully as you don't want cooked fish.

The other big issue that I had with this heater brand is if it has the little black fishes painted on the heater, look out they come off in the water and my lord what a mess they do to the water. They come off really easily and this was one huge complaint amongst many people so watch for that if you have them on there.

They are really good at taking back items that you are not satisfied with so keep all boxes and receipts.

Good Luck
atteb is offline   Reply With Quote