Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #1 
danifacetastic

New Setup?

Sorry if I've been posting on here too much...there's just a lot of questions when getting a new setup.

So I'm getting my betta's new tank tomorrow (a 10 gallon divided by 3) and I havent decided between a new male betta or female. If I get a female and put her in the middle section will the males be okay and not freak out when they see her like they do each other? Also I'm thinking about getting 2 African Dwarf Frogs and 2 Ghost Shrimp. Does this sound alright?

And when I clean the tank with the vacumn pump will the shrimp be all right? Will they get sucked up too?

Sorry about all my recent postings again and thanks for all the advice.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #2 
small fry

As far as the tank dividing I have heard the female in the middle is ok in most situations. That will probably be ok. Don't know anything about shrimp though.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:08 AM   #3 
Capricorn

Yes to shrimp, no to ADFs, I believe.. I'm no expert on amphibians but I believe ADFs need to be kept in small groups and are hard to feed due to their poor eyesight. Perhaps someone else can offer their opinion.

As for the female in the middle I'm not sure.. I never housed my female in my divided tank because I heard they constantly release pheromones that will drive a male betta crazy. I believe others have housed them together with no problem, however.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #4 
TaylorW

Hmm, I've heard of females getting all "eggy" before when being in a divided tank with males, but I don't think this happens very often... just in some cases. Something to think about though!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:41 AM   #5 
danifacetastic

I've seen 3 gallon tanks with bettas and the frogs together and they seem to be fine. Not sure though. And I've read if you get the sinking pellets they're okay.

And what do you mean by eggy?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:31 AM   #6 
TaylorW

Like the females get eggs in their bellies.

But I've never had a female betta or a divided tank, but I thought I read on here somewhere that sometimes they'll get eggs around males? Don't take my word on that, you just might want to do some research on it :) So take my advice with a grain of salt, or however the saying goes :P
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #7 
danifacetastic

Hm. Maybe I'll just get another male haha. What about the frogs?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #8 
MoePaac

ADF's are social animals and really should be kept in small groups. I think 3.3 gallons would be a little small for a group of these. They also have really poor eyesight and therefore this makes it hard for them to feed. Many of our members that have ADF's end up having to hand feed them.

Shrimp would work! I'm obsessed with my shrimp. Sometimes I think I watch them more than my fish. Very interesting little things. I've never sucked up a shrimp when vacuuming. You could probably get one or two for each section. Some bettas see ghost shrimp as a snack though. This is why it's important to have plants and places for them to hide.

In terms of the dividers... be sure to put tall plants along side of the divider. This will break the line of sight for the bettas and will help reduce the amount of flaring between them. It also helps with a sense of security. A cave like structure in each section would be a good thing also. This could be as simple as a turned over coffee mug.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote