Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #1 
Fawnleaf

Exclamation Help!!! Quick!!

Ok, So I had to turn off my filter last night and I turned it on just now. AND THERE ARE ARE LITTLE WHITE / CLEAR WORMS EVERYWHERE!!! They're all wiggly and stuff and only one the side with my male betta. I've never seen them before, but they're really gross!!!! What are they and how do I get rid of them??? How on earth did they come to my tank and are they harmful?? Please answer as soon as possible!!
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #2 
Welsh

They sound like planaria, these are harmless and often a symptom caused by too much uneaten food in the substrate, caused by over feeding.

Regular water changes, gravel vaccuming will help keep them away, also cutting down on the amount of food you feed your fish.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #3 
Posaune

Well, I had something similar happen in my 55 gallon tank and they ended up be planarians I believe. But I'm sure there are more than one species of white wiggly worms :P Is it possible to get a good picture of one?

EDIT: Welsh beat me to it :P
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #4 
Lion Mom

Why are you turning your filter off during the night? Don't think you are supposed to do that.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #5 
Fawnleaf

Oh, it was only last night!! :P I had to introduce my male to the other side of the divided tank, where the filter was. He couldn't swim in the current, so I figured I would let him adjust and in the morning turn on the filter.

Hmm... I think thats what they are. But it's odd because I would swear I don't over feed. Oh well. I did a water change and sucked up as many of the dang little worms as I could. They were really creeping me out!! I guess I will pay more attention during feed times. :/ I guess thats what happens with your first sorority tank!! :D

ps. I just realized I don't have a vacuum!!! YIKES! How to I get one? For today I dragged my syphon along the bottom and got all the gunk out. Could I grab one at petco? How much to they cost?
Old 11-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #6 
dukie1346

A gravel vacuum is the same as the syphon :)
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #7 
Welsh

The siphon I always thought was the airline tube. You can get a gravel vaccum in any of your LFS, i'm not from the US but I'm sure petco or petsmart, walmart etc will stock them
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #8 
Fawnleaf

Oh, really???? So the tube that you suck on to get the water out is a syphon, AKA gravel vacuum? Oh!! lol Thats exactly what I have!!! haha
Old 11-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #9 
JKfish

Technically the gravel vacc part is the big suction thingie that connects to the siphon and allows you to stir up your gravel and get gross stuff out of it without actually sucking up the gravel. However, you can get the same thing done by stirring the gravel around before you siphon out water during water changes :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #10 
vaygirl

Siphon Vacuum. :D
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote