Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #1 
jewledrose

Help! Betta sick?

I have a male betta in a 2.5 gal with a heater at 76˚. He has been there for about a month with 50% water changes every 3 days. Yesterday I noticed he had clamped his fins, and a bit later he started swimming jerkily and just hovering near the bottom. He is not eating. This morning, he is acting the same way. I tried to give him frozen bloodworms, but he completely ignored them. He had been eating nutrafin max flakes, which he has been doing great on for the past 4 months I have had him. I'm not sure what to do, he has NO other signs of illness - just the clamped fins, lack of movement, and no appetite. If anyone has any suggesstions on what to do with him, please let me know!!

Tank: 2.5 gal
Heater: yes, 76˚
Filter: no
Water Changes: Every 3 days, 50%
Water Conditioner: Had been using splendid betta water conditioner, 2 weeks ago started using API Stress Coat
Feeding: Once Daily
jewledrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problem....

In a 2.5gal unfiltered tank I would increase or add to your water change schedule- 1 weekly 100% water change along with 1-50% water change a week-provided that you are removing all uneaten food after feeding

At this point I would recommend that you start a daily 100% water changes for 3-4 days and see if he won't perk up for you-make sure the water temp is within a couple of degree between new and old water and use the dechlorinator with all new water...you may want to add a bit more with your first water change....sometimes with sudden changes in behavior like this it can be related to not using enough dechlorinator or something fell in the water or on your hands etc.........

You can't see anything physically on him as far as parasites...just lethargic and no appetite....correct....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #3 
jewledrose

OK, so I just did a 100% water change on his tank and added more dechlor. After settling him back in, I noticed the scales near his head are turning a bit grey/blue. He is a dark blue betta (see my profile pic, that is him). He seems a bit happier in the new water (he swam around for a bit) but now he will swim to the surface, breathe, and then just float down back to the bottom. I hope the water changes will help him. I also added some aquarium salt when I did the water change. I had been adding salt every water change before, but I stopped about a month ago. Also, Should I put bettafix in his tank? I have heard mixed reviews about it. One of my friends uses it any time her betta looks 'sad' and it perks him right up.

Last edited by jewledrose; 11-13-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

If you want to do a salt treatment use 1tsp/gal along with the 100% daily water changes-so not to create resistant issues and no longer than 10 day...long term salt can cause system shut down and kidney failure.

I don't use OTC medication-so I can't advise.....less chemical additives the better IMO/E......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #5 
JessG

If he's looking a little gray, it's probably ammonia issues, and the frequent water changes will help him more than anything.
JessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #6 
jewledrose

Sadly, he did not make it through the night. There was no change to him, although he did get the color in his scales back about 20min after the water change. There is no obvious change in his look - nothing to point to any illness of any sort. Is it possible that old age took him? I've had him for just over 4 months and he is a pet store betta (no idea how old he was when I got him). Anyway, thank you for the tips on the 2.5 gal, I will definitely do more water changes when I have another fish in there.

*RIP Gilbert*
Old 11-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #7 
JKfish

I doubt it was old age, bettas can live 5 years with proper care, and typically bettas are about 6 or so months when you get them at petstores.
:(
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, clamped fins, sick betta