Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #1 
Chrisssy

New Betta Barracks still under construction

Ok so i picked up my new betta barracks today which can house 12 bettas in it. I want to connect a trickle filter but wont do this DIY project until atleast another 2 weeks since i will be moving house and dont want to undo everything when the time comes to move.

I have plastic dark blue dividers so fish cant see each other.
Enjoy
Attached Images

Chrisssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:35 AM   #2 
WashingtonCowgirl

How big are each of those slots? IMHO They are WAY too tiny... The look about 1/2 gallon at best :(
WashingtonCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:13 AM   #3 
Chrisssy

Hi theyre not small and as i am going to insert a filter and heating it shouldnt be a problem they are bigger than they actually look. They are bigger than a gallon.

I was talking to a breeder/Aquarium store owner today whom i got the tank off today and he has always had all his bettas in this without problems theres nothing wrong with the size of tank you keep your betta in as long as you keep it clean do regular water changes, have a good filter system and light always helps theyre being setup atm for breeding i have multiple 4ft tanks which i can convert for them but dont want to have too many tank in the house due to water vapor escaping.

I have always had fish i started with bettas bred them aswell then moved onto breeding African and American Cichlids bred them and moved onto Australian Natives and then moved onto bettas again so I know how to care and tend to fish.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #4 
WashingtonCowgirl

1 gallon is still way to small. IMO you can have all the filtration in the world and do as many water changes as you want, its still not good for them to have so little swim space. But obviously you aren't the type that joins forums to learn something, just to try and make yourself feel knowledgeable. Good luck with the fish, I feel sorry for them :/

ETA:
For years most people thought it was OK to keep bettas in small tank too... just because you've been doin it a while doesn't mean that there aren't new things to learn... That would take all the fun out of everything
WashingtonCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:41 AM   #5 
Chrisssy

its ok i kinda noticed this is a child betta forum now moving onto the grown ups forum where we just dont think of keeping but breeding fish any way im from australia australian and american people do things differently your way isnt always the right way cheerio :)
Old 11-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #6 
thefishboy

That is so kl! I want one! They look nice for a betta........
Aslong as you keep up water changes i SEE no problem...
thefishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #7 
Neelie

please guys, lets not start fighting or arguing....

personally, i wouldnt put my fish into barrcks like that. we humans dont like living in tiny apartments where we can see our neighbors (that we hate) in a huge housing block either.... thats all ill say to that...
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #8 
NEWBEE FISH

The Betta Housing Projects
NEWBEE FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #9 
leaveittoweaver

This is nothing to do with American/Australian. IMO, It has to do with humane keeping of fish. I have seen bettas SURVIVE in one gallon tanks for years. But I have never seen one THRIVE in one. 2.5 gallons is minimum rule of thumb. And you'd have a close to impossible time efficiently filtering out barracks like that. It will also be incredibly difficult to heat.

I think it would be really great if people cared more about their animal's comfort than they did about their pride and ego. It's ridiculous that anyone care so much about their intelligence being insulted that they can't take good advice.
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #10 
nomoretickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveittoweaver View Post
This is nothing to do with American/Australian. IMO, It has to do with humane keeping of fish. I have seen bettas SURVIVE in one gallon tanks for years. But I have never seen one THRIVE in one. 2.5 gallons is minimum rule of thumb. And you'd have a close to impossible time efficiently filtering out barracks like that. It will also be incredibly difficult to heat.

I think it would be really great if people cared more about their animal's comfort than they did about their pride and ego. It's ridiculous that anyone care so much about their intelligence being insulted that they can't take good advice.
+1
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote