Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #1 
ParisRose

PH

On my PH Monitor by Seachem it says my ph is 8.2. Will mr. betta adapt to this or do I have to go get some ph down. Is there anyway I could naturally lower it.Oh and does anyone know how reliable the ammonia monitor is by seachem?
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Your pH is fine-I would avoid any chemical additive to change the pH especially for new hobbyist-a stable pH is the safest and your Betta will adapt

I have really high pH and hardness with my well water and don't have any problems with my Bettas-I do have to soften my water with natural methods when I spawn other species of fish like Neon tetra but not for my Bettas.... but only for spawning and eggs not keeping them-when not spawning they live in my hard water

As far as the ammonia monitor you have-I am not sure what it is-if it is one of those that attach to the tank for a continued monitor....IMO-they are a waste of money.... but I can't say if they are accurate....the best way to control ammonia is with regular water changes based on tank size, bioload, filtration, nitrogen cycle...etc....., not over-feeding and removal of uneaten food after feeding
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #3 
peaches3221

your pH is kinda high, but like oldfishlady said, I wouldn't use pH down. maybe use bottled water instead of tap water? oh, and by an chance do you have any seashells in your tank? (as i saltwater shells, freshwater snail shells are fine) i've heard they can raise the pH so take those out.
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #4 
ParisRose

Nope no shells. The thing with the ammonia reader that attaches to the tank is it's always in the alert section. It said it only detected free ammonia and I use prime which is supposed to get rid of that right? I think it's defective because there's not even a fish in the water.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Prime a good choice btw-and can cause false reading on ammonia-it changes ammonia to ammonium and ammonia test can't tell the difference

Be careful with bottled water since it is not regulated in can be just filtered tap water and still contain chlorine and chloramine-the filtering process can also remove the needed mineral the fish needs for health...if you use bottled water you would also need to use dechlorinator and some type of additive to replace the lost minerals-using 50/50 mix tap/bottled along with dechlorinated would be okay-however-some filtering process is just a change in Ions and has nothing to do with hardness per se and often worse for the fish......

Fish are adaptable and because most are farmed raised they have never seen their natural habitat waters and do fine in our source water except for some species that do need special water like some wild caught species, Discus and other cichlid and some that only need it for spawning/eggs....generally Betta are fine in our source water and it is much easier for us to care for them especially when they are in small containers that require frequent water changes- because not only will we have to maintain the tank but also any replacement water used for water changes when we start messing with pH and hardness.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote