Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2010, 01:17 AM   #1 
DormDrax

Drax the Dorm Betta

FINALLY much clearer images!
Check out the Thread 'Dorm Room Betta' for the stuff he went through on the first night of almost freezing. Seems like he's MUCH happier now!

DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:36 AM   #2 
Tsuhei

Very pretty fish..his eye seems a little..."off" though. Big, per-se. What do the rest of you think? It almost looks like he has popeye o_O;
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:40 AM   #3 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhei View Post
Very pretty fish..his eye seems a little..."off" though. Big, per-se. What do the rest of you think? It almost looks like he has popeye o_O;
Ok good that means these photo's were good enough to spot that! I'll get some Medicine for it when I purchase everything (tank... pretty much 'The Works') and begin treatment *Coughs* Sunday...

but what about the bubbles lol doesn't that mean something? hahahaha
Old 12-02-2010, 01:53 AM   #4 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
Ok good that means these photo's were good enough to spot that! I'll get some Medicine for it when I purchase everything (tank... pretty much 'The Works') and begin treatment *Coughs* Sunday...

but what about the bubbles lol doesn't that mean something? hahahaha
The bubbles at the top of the vase? =P Of course it means something means he's happy! haha. He's a really pretty fishie though
Old 12-02-2010, 01:56 AM   #5 
baylee767

Much better photos! Im 95% sure those aren't his natural colors, his are very faded. He's probably going to be a beautiful bright purple/red/blue Betta! I agree with the above, he probably has popeye. This is deadly (I'm pretty sure) so you should treat it as soon as possible. I'm not expert on fish diseases so I could be wrong.

That vase looks roughly the same size as the cups they come in. You should probably do daily 100% water changes in something that size until you get a new tank.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:00 AM   #6 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Much better photos! Im 95% sure those aren't his natural colors, his are very faded. He's probably going to be a beautiful bright purple/red/blue Betta! I agree with the above, he probably has popeye. This is deadly (I'm pretty sure) so you should treat it as soon as possible. I'm not expert on fish diseases so I could be wrong.

That vase looks roughly the same size as the cups they come in. You should probably do daily 100% water changes in something that size until you get a new tank.
I don't have water to use dangit! No chemicals, nothing. So Advice?

Hmmm he's actually Actively Making bubbles! SO CUTE! He makes a few then scouts around the vase looking at them and nudging them.

Colors? Probably due to the lamp... it was shinning on him. Imagine my Avatar... in HD hahaha thats more of what he looks like.

The eye... I would get the Betta thats adorable yet diseased.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:12 AM   #7 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
I don't have water to use dangit! No chemicals, nothing. So Advice?

Hmmm he's actually Actively Making bubbles! SO CUTE! He makes a few then scouts around the vase looking at them and nudging them.

Colors? Probably due to the lamp... it was shinning on him. Imagine my Avatar... in HD hahaha thats more of what he looks like.

The eye... I would get the Betta thats adorable yet diseased.
Well you definitely need water conditioner (something to take away chlorine and chloramines...these will slowly poison your fishie to death and kill him). And yes you need to get the popeye treated immediately. PM OldFishLady if she doesn't post in this thread - she's really good at curing betta fish illnesses =) Very knowledgeable.

For now, though, use the "drinking straw" cleaning method. Basically, you take a drinking straw (unused) and stick it in his water with your finger over the other end as you're doing so. Place it near the poop and quickly release and then close off the top of the straw again. The water will shoot up the straw quickly, along with the poop. This will remove the poop (which causes ammonia) and lessen the amount of water you take out until you can get some water conditioner. Rinse and repeat.

Note: This is not an alternative to water changes. Once you get the water conditioner, you need to do a water change asap. (treat the water first before putting it into the tank. Dumping tap water onto your fish that's untreated can also make him sick)
Old 12-02-2010, 02:12 AM   #8 
baylee767

O lol. Your friend that you mentioned in the other post probably has conditioner (those 'chemicals') if they own Bettas. If they do you could ask to borrow some /= With conditioner, tap water is usally just fine. It's what I use, at least, and my Bettas are healthy. I've also seen in reccomended by other members.

Now the faded looking colors make sense ;) I bet that if he's plenty active in the vase he'll be VERY active in a larger tank! Can't wait to see pics of his tank when you get it!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #9 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
O lol. Your friend that you mentioned in the other post probably has conditioner (those 'chemicals') if they own Bettas. If they do you could ask to borrow some /= With conditioner, tap water is usally just fine. It's what I use, at least, and my Bettas are healthy. I've also seen in reccomended by other members.

Now the faded looking colors make sense ;) I bet that if he's plenty active in the vase he'll be VERY active in a larger tank! Can't wait to see pics of his tank when you get it!
... it's just like when my Oldest brother got his own dog with his Girl Friend (Now Wife, and my Sister N Law haha) Was a FREE puppy and then it within a month contracted a deadly disease that cost my brother several hundred to treat, then a month later Turbo (The dog) got out and was lost for a week, must have gotten hit since he had a broken leg and brother had to shell out another thousand or so to give Turbo Surgery.
Turbo is 7 now and fine...

But just saying the bad luck must run in the family, I get a fish and it has a Disease which could be the sign of a DEADLY disease. I want to go out RIGHT now and get Spring water for him to do a full change but it's freezing out and the nearest store that would have it is miles away (No Car yet) and it's 2:30am (I sleep... on the weekends @_@).

As for my friend she USED to care for Betta's, her poor 'Fred' a Spectacularly Bright Red Veiled... or Spade (Sorta in the middle) is constricted to a almost just 3inch water level bowl about probably 1/4th the size of Drax's vase. She has no chemicals either.

Don't yell! I've only had him for a day! >_< He'll get treatment as soon as I can get him it! Realistically though... his eye doesn't really look so much swollen as it does... just sticking out it just looks big because it sorta has an angle to it when you see if from the other side. Straight on looking at it (Looking at his right side) you don't even notice it. Maybe he honestly just has a messed up eye? Because I looked at some pics and those eyes look swelled when his just ... sticks out *Sweats* I don't want to have another panic attack like last night with the chilled air.

......................... *Sighs* I'm so busy tomorrow but around 3pm I'll try to get one of my friends to go on a store run with me to get some water for him... if I can convince my friend to go to Walmart I'll get some (I did look up the medicine for Popeye, the name just escapes me at the moment...) http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm She knows her stuff!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:55 AM   #10 
DormDrax

... Meh to anyone who already things I post too much at least I always have a point and PAINFULLY explain everything.

Ok ok his eye is swollen (Took good looks at it) >_< Probably due to the crappy water he was stored in at whatever store he was from. (The current water was fresh yesterday, so technically he's had one water change ehe..)

I just hate the idea that he's been rescued from a cup and already, and ACTUALLY at the moment still making a ... pretty Damn big bubble nest! Showing how happy he is. His fins are almost constantly raising (Always the top one now) I think they were down earlier from when I moved him from my friends room back to mine and he was getting accustomed. He seems to LOVE looking at the jar of Red Scent Beads (Maybe they are making him think of eggs?) and the dragon statue...

"Oooohhh just don't die by Sunday and you'll get pampered like an Indian Cow!"

Last edited by DormDrax; 12-02-2010 at 02:58 AM.