Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #1 
umbrulla

Red face greetings, first thread, and a few rookie questions.

hello betta fish dot com, this is my first thread here so if i make any taboo mistakes, please imform me so i dont do it again X3 i appologise in advance.

last saturday about four days or so ago i got my first beta fish in almost 8 years, the last one passed away long ago. my mother and i were on our weekly visit to the pet supply store, and we absolutely fell in love with a little veiltail bicolor blue male, sitting in a plastic water cooler cup. we rescued him and took him on the long drive home.

he wasnt in the bag longer than an hour thankfully to our rushing about to get our ghetto set up from 8 years ago back together and washed with searing hot water((we didnt want to use soap, but we wanted the setup to be sterile so hot water was the best we had and betta fish water conditoner)) to get any ungodly bacteria or dust off. before we put the water in the bowl.

the bowl is over eight and a half gallons, not full, because we knew betta fish jumped, so we left a generous ammount of jumping room and safety rim. its round clear and blown glass, no sharp edges.

unfortunately all he has were a sad few mid sized rocks, and quarts crystals((washed with the same hot water)). so Pilot as we deemed the little guy on our drive home is pretty lonely in that bowl.

i was hoping i could get some setup suggestions, as well as any helpful tips you guys may have for a rookie, so i can make pilot a happy fish.

i was hoping i could get a small water heater for pilot, as well as some plants directly benificial to betta fish health, and maybe some suggested hiding places or anything else you guys suggest.

if anyone wants pictures of pilot or the bowl setup i can provide, im just a little self conscious about the sad setup ;^;

thank you
sincerely
Pilot and Alexis
umbrulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #2 
JKfish

Welcome to the forum (and the addicting hobby)!

your set up sound decent. You'll definately need a heater to keep the water around 80* F, seeing as bettas are tropical fish. Caves are always good for bettas, because then they have the option of hiding when they want.

Some great plants are java moss, java fern, anubias, etc, all of which are low light plants that are easy.

A great (and economical) water conditioner is Prime made by seachem. It's a bit on the expensive side but lasts a while.

Oh, and one more thing you need to know: This forum thrives off of photos. Honestly, we love photos of fish and tanks, so feel free to post some!

Edit: also, if you want to add more to his tank right now, some great temporary tank 'decor' can be anything like coffe mugs, terra cotta pots, plastic baby toys, ping pong balls, etc.

Last edited by JKfish; 11-17-2010 at 03:56 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

I would love to see your Betta and setup it sounds interesting......

The best thing for Bettas or any fish for that matter is clean dechlorinated water and water changes-in your half filled 8g unfiltered container I would make at least twice weekly water changes of-1-50% and 1-100%-make sure the water is within a couple of degrees between old and new so not to cause any temp related problems and always use dechlorinater with any new water added to the fish

Feed a good varied diet-but don't over feed and this can be easily done when they come to you wagging their tail begging for food...lol....resist temptation-also avoid the freeze dried type food-they are great for a 1-2 times a week treat but not as a staple diet due to bloat issues they can cause.

Water temp is really important for this species and best kept stable in the 76-80F range-you may need to add a heater to maintain the water temp...especially in cold areas....

Again welcome and look forward to seeing pic and hearing more about your new wet-pet.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Welcome to the forum!

My goodness, 8 1/2 gallons sounds like a huge bowl! Of course, that's a great size for a betta. I'd like to see it.

A heater is definitely a must unless your house is constantly 24+ degrees. Look for a 50 watt adjustable heater.

Silk or natural plants are fine. Natural plants will keep with the water quality, but silk plants are fine too. But yes, your betta should have some sort of plant or decor to help him feel secure and provide a hiding spot.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #5 
CrankyFish84

Welcome to the forum!
Don't be shy, we love pix...Most of us started with tanks we didn't think looked good enough,
but the fun part is slowly adding to it as you learn more!

A good adjustable heater for that size is a Theo 50W or an Aqueon...I just find those
brands more reliable, but it may have just been the ones I bought.

A dark colored ceramic coffee mug is a good cheap hiding spot :) Petco sells
cute silk "betta plants" that are weighted & mine seem to like resting on.

Good luck !
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #6 
umbrulla

ive uploaded a few photos for you guys, and wow the fast replies are great, im used to forums that take about a day to respond, thank you so very much everyone, :]
i was impressed by jkfishes suggestion about the mug, so i sterilized a clean newish mug i had never used before and carefully placed in the bottom, unfortunately for pilot it made some less than quiet noises when it moved some of the rocks, and i hope he will be alright.

pilots setup is in the old breakfast nook of the kitchen, out of direct sunlight or major lighting changes to keep his eyes and coat healthy, and since ive got him ive blasted the heat in the house until i can get a proper water heater.
the only problem ive had is finding a heater that will drape over the edge of my bowl, its has a flared wave at the top as you can see, and finding a water heater that doesnt latch onto a flat edge is difficult in my area X.x, if anyone has any suggestions for the awkwierd bowl style it would be greatly appreciated.

heres the first picture, pardon the quality. heres the bowl, it doesnt look over 81/2 gallons, but to even my suprise it was, its quite a large bowl in width, so im guessing thats where all the room came from :]
its blown glass, and clear, save for the bubbles and the blue rim, im having trouble with the frilled edge and finding filters and water heaters for it though.

because its so round everything is quite distorted, pardon me, i appologise.
i set my water conditoner and food out for you guys too see, i use nutrafin max flake food and nutrafin water conditoner. it was all i could get my hands on at the time, and i will upgrade the quality and product when i run low.

heres a top view of the water, and pilot, fortunately hes happy and very active, rarely stessed or near the bottom, he loves to come up to the surface and swim about. im very relieved he's healthy and used to the attention we give him.

heres a view of pilot, i appologise for the bubbles in the glass getting in the way, but hes a very friendly fish. he has never flared as long as ive had him, even when i put my hand in to clean out a few extra flakes in the water earlier today he took one out of my hand, and stayed quite close to my hand which is pleasantly suprising. hes probably the friendliest fish ive ever met, and i am graced to see him every day.

i am very thankful for the friendly helpful atmosphere of this community, and i feel very welcome, thank you everyone <3

sincerely
Pilot and Alexis
Old 11-17-2010, 05:39 PM   #7 
JKfish

Pilot is very pretty, and looks really healthy. It might be the way the bowl is shaped, but he looks bloated in the last picture. If he really is, you might want to consider fasting him a day.

Next time you get food, I personally advise pellets that have some form of protein (fish, shrimp, fish meal, etc) as the first ingredient. Pellets are more nutritious, easier to feed the right ammount, and don't make such a mess as flakes :) . All you have to do is pre-soak them before feeding so that they don't expand in Pilot's stomach.

You technically don't need a filter. The only reason most of us have filters is because we cycle our tanks to reduce the ammount of water changes necessary. If you keep up on water changes, you don't have to worry.

Heating that will be interesting, most good quality heaters will suction to the side of the tank, but that won't work.

If heating that becomes to difficult, you might want to switch to a different shaped tank.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #8 
CrankyFish84

Ya this forum rocks! :)

I think you might eventually find it easier to buy a hex or rectangle tank...if you look enough and ask around, people will sometimes just GIVE them to you for free. :)
A good one w/ nice lighting is the Hawkeye 2.5 or 5G from Walmart (online only) for $15- $30.
That's a good price for what it is compared to other brands. I find glass 10G's for $12 (with no hood) at more petstores too.
Then the heater prob would be solved...Bc I can't think of any heater that will suck to the sides of that,
sorry :( I don't use suction cups on some of my heaters, I just bend the wire which is flexible and maybe tape it to the outside for security, that works. :)

He's a cutie ! :)

Last edited by CrankyFish84; 11-17-2010 at 05:54 PM.
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #9 
umbrulla

thanks jkfish for the suggestion ill fast him tomorrow, i didnt notice the bloating untill you pointed it out, i have a bit of trouble feeding with flakes accurately and i think thats the problem, so ill go buy some pellets asap

i think the next time i go to town ill look around in pets mart for some sort of ghetto heater for my ghetto tank. XD
Old 11-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #10 
JKfish

Lol. If you're looking for a heater, I highly recommend the Marineland Visi-Therm Submersible 50 watt heater. A bit on the expensive side, but it is high quality. Marineland, the company that makes it will stand by its products for life. If that heater ever breaks, you contact the company, send in the old one and you get sent a new one :)

Last edited by JKfish; 11-17-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Tags
pilot bowl setup health