Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #21 
dragonfair

Hi there. I had a tail-biter. You really have to do some detective work to figure out what could be causing him to do this. It might mean watching him for a while when he doesn't know you're there, or finding a way to monitor him so he can't see you (check out his behavior when he's alone). You really also need to keep his water verrry clean. Clean water at the right temp will go a long way toward helping him heal. If he freaks out when he sees you, try blocking his view for a while. If he paces the tank, try breaking up his path or distracting him with lots to do & explore. If he has a light, try dimming it.

For my little guy (Uncle Sam), it was really obvious what was causing his tail-biting... stress. I had him in a 10 gal divided tank and no matter how much I tried to block their view of each other, they became so stressed out I had to completely separate them. I make sure they have lots of distractions, interactions with me and things to explore. He stopped biting as soon as he had his own place and his tail is slowly growing back.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #22 
FishyFriend1

okay, well I don't think it's stress but I think he might be bored. I can't turn on the light because it makes him see his refection....
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #23 
JKfish

If he can see his reflection when you turn on the light, it is probably because he is in a dark area of a room, and only the light in the tank hood or directly above the tank is on, causing him to see his reflection.

make sure the lighting in the room surrounding his tank is well lit along with his individual tank light thingie.

Keeping up with water changes (two 50% water changes a week (one of those along with gravel vaccuming) and one 100% water change once a month) will definately help heal and possibly help him quit
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #24 
FishyFriend1

okay thanks alot guys. you have all helped me out of a tricky situation
I really appreciate it :)
Old 11-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #25 
FishyFriend1

-The water has been changed. Yay!
I am going to try to keep moving around the ornaments until his tail grows back.
So now i want to know what decor you have in your tanks and what works well.
Gonna try to switch it up every water change.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #26 
JKfish

Decor: I had live plants, silk plants, a drift wood ornament, and a barrel decor. Not much, and I didn't move it around much, but it worked... I also flared him a bit, played chase the finger with him, put stuff around his tank etc.

How's your betta doing?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #27 
FishyFriend1

He has finally stopped!!! yay (but i think his tail got too short)

We play chase the straw every day now and he seems happy