Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #1 
Panthera

Still won't eat!

Okay I know I made a thread about this before, but I'm kinda getting worried about Polaris. He still won't eat, and this is the 2nd day. When I first got him on Wednesday he ate fine up until Saturday, now he'll just go after the pellet and then cough it up, try to eat it, cough it up, then ignores it. I don't think its the fact that he doesn't like the food, because I tried flakes as well, and he ignores them. I also tried soaking the pellet in water, but he doesn't want that either.

Sorry if I'm being overdramatic, but I'm just concerned because he's my new baby :P
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #2 
DaEvangelist

Do you have any freeze dried bloodworms? He might go for those. The problem is that he may not be used to the food, so he's spitting them out.

As everyone seems to say, he'll eat when he gets hungry. I'm glad I haven't run into that problem with my Danube.
DaEvangelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #3 
Panthera

I have flakes with freeze dried blood worms, would that work? Also I don't think its because he's not used to the pellets, he ate them like they were his favorite food the first 2 days I had him.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #4 
lilbloofish

Try to crush it into smaller bites, my female usually spits it out if they are to big. :)
lilbloofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #5 
Panthera

Thanks lilbloofish! I cut the pellets, (Even though they're micro), in half and he gobbled 4 of them up! I guess maybe because he's still a baby that they were too big for him? Polaris is a total opposite of Adamu, a.k.a, the Bottomless pit. As I was cutting the pellets in half, he was swimming up and down in front of me flaring, trying to get me to put them in his tank.

Such a fatty.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:13 AM   #6 
CrankyFish84

Mr Brooks the stubborn Crowntail, when I first brought him home... he didn't eat pellets, frozen bloodworms, freeze dried brine shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, ANYTHING for like a WEEK. I thought he was going to die. But he eventually snapped out of it & started eating when he got hungry enough. :)

Glad your guy is eating now :)
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #7 
atteb

There are so many pellets out there that are to big for these bettas on the average. I was so disappointed when I finally got my order of Atisons Betta Food and the pellets are way to big for them, they just spit them out but when I give them smaller pellets they are fine. I think Hikari makes the right size of pellets IMO its to bad the other brands are not the same size.

If you can try and feed a variety of food besides just pellets. Some might not agree with me but I feel that variety is the best for all fish in the hobby. I feed a wide variety of pellets, frozen, flake etc. But I only feed the things they will eat so it does not polute their tanks.
atteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #8 
Perdue

thats what bleezy did with pellets.. he'd chew, spit out, chew, spit out and didnt even eat ONE for almost two weeks.. but i kept trying and pulling out the uneaten food and now he gobbles them up :)
Perdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

You could try Hikari micro pellets. They're very tiny. I had to feed them to one of my females because she couldn't eat the regular ones.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #10 
RSandelli

How much do you guys feed your bettas on a daily basis? Usually I feed my guy once a day (3-4 pellets). Do I need to feed him twice a day or is once sufficient? I don't want to overfeed him.

Also, Panthera, I try to sort through the pellets and find the smaller ones for my little man, Villa. That way it is easier for him to swallow.
RSandelli is offline   Reply With Quote