Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #1 
jewledrose

Smile Is this a major problem?

I had my VT pass on me last night, so I went and did a petco rescue to replace him. OK nothing wrong there... except I came home with 4 new bettas!! I'm still not quite sure how it happened, but now I have Gils II a tealish VT and Romeo (name still in the works ) a dark red/black with blue DT, and 2 little girls. Youch! I am surprised with myself - Normally I have a bit more restraint when I walk into the store. I even went back to petco this evening to pick up romeo. I got the others early this afternoon and went home to tell myself I do not need more fish! But, they are all much happier! Romeo is in a .5 gal temp tank until I get his tank set up.

I think the betta bug has definitely bitten me - I thought it had already got me, but it proved itself today!
jewledrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #2 
Adastra

In the future, you should really really wait until you have all of the supplies and proper housing for your fish before you bring them home. After all, you aren't really rescuing them if all they have to come home to is a tiny unheated container. In the meantime, I suggest purchasing a few rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bins to keep everyone in. If your house is around 77-80 degrees, you can purchase one bin for each of them. If your house is cold and you can't afford individual heaters, get one large bin and several disposable tupperware containers (Glad and Ziplock both make these). Put your heater in the large container and then float the fish in the small tupperware containers inside the larger, heated bin. Remember to poke air holes in the lids and leave plenty of breathing room. You will have to change the water in the small tupperware containers every day, but at least all your fish will be warm and safe until you can afford to house them all properly.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #3 
jewledrose

Even in the .5 tank his temp is about 75˚, he is in the warmest part of my house. It is no worse than being in the tiny cup in petco! they are only about 68˚ there. His new tank will be ready tomorrow, and he will be moving right in.

Also the other 3 are already up in their new homes. Everyone is happy.
jewledrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:21 AM   #4 
CrankyFish84

LoL...Yea be careful with impulse buys...I spent waaay too much on stuff because I saw one I really wanted...And I rationalize somehow, just like an addict. lol

But ya those Sterilite containers are great, they love them actually, good to have on hand!
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #5 
Aluyasha

I have done that before a few times. The last time I was at a different store and thought to go into petco just because it was right next door and came out with $85 worth of fish stuff including a new tank and a new double-tail male! It is a miracle I dont get a new betta everytime I leave the house!
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #6 
CrankyFish84

You know you're an addict when you have to hide fish stuff you bought in your purse when coming home...hehe
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #7 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyFish84 View Post
You know you're an addict when you have to hide fish stuff you bought in your purse when coming home...hehe

BWHAHAH couldnt agree more!
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

You know you're an addict when you wait until your parents aren't home to get a new betta.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #9 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyFish84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen
You know you're an addict when you wait until your parents aren't home to get a new betta.
Hehe, that was me last year...but I learned my lesson, can't get too carried away anymore. Congrats on the new fish.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #10 
shinybetta

You know youre addicted when, if a fish dies, you buy three more telling yourself that 1 fills up the R.I.P. fish, and the other two help you emotionally compensate for the loss. And if you spend hours having conversations with your fish
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote