Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #1 
fleetfish

The Little Things That Make You Smile :)

Because we need this thread.

What are the little things that make you smile? Is it a shiny new bubblenest your betta has made for you? Is it the way they seem to wait patiently (or not!) for their food? How about the way they dance for you whenever they see you?

The first time I gave bloodworms to Murdoch, a betta I adopted from a school classmate, he was absolutely freaked of the very sight of me (TEH SCARY HOOMAN!!1!) and he wouldn't come out from beneath his plant. He would just lay there as pale as a sheet breathing heavily, flattened under the leaves like his life was over. He was truly terrified. So I dropped his bloodworms in, and after an hour or so he emerged, carefully looking for TEH SCARY HOOMAN !1!! I just watched him from my desk, careful not to give him a heart attack. He ate them once he knew they were there, and ever since I've fed him in the same corner of the tank. Usually he'll go back into his hiding spot when he's finished.

Over the past two weeks he's gotten much braver. My hand is no longer scary, but he still gets flighty. The little thing that makes me smile is that every day Murdoch is gaining confidence, bit by bit. Maybe one day I'll get a picture of him, but there are still many things he's afraid of - cameras being one of them.

So what are your stories?
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #2 
Comatose

I love it when my bettas look really happy to see me just because I'm there. It makes me smile. :)
Comatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Just seeing their beauty every day makes me smile.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #4 
Aluyasha

I love that every morning, Abacus will dance and open his mouth over and over when I turn his light on. It is as if he has been waiting in that spot all night just to greet me.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:19 AM   #5 
TaylorW

I love when I come back to my dorm ,after leaving Victor there over the weekend, how he starts swimming back and forth excitedly as soon as I open the door! :D

I also love how much of a little fighter he is. My fish has had lymphocystis for awhile now, and he's constantly having to fight it off. I love how even when he has an outbreak of lumps he is still so happy to see me and waggles his little tail when I talk to him! It makes me smile to know that when he might be feeling a bit under the weather that he still wants my attention and still loves me :)

(Well... as much as his little fishy brain can love :P)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:41 AM   #6 
Jupiter

Yep, gotta love their enthusiastic greetings. Also, I just love watching Janus interact with his enviroment...mostly he's just a surface cruiser, but when I see him sleeping by his plant or hanging out with my Miku figurine it makes me smile. :)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:20 AM   #7 
Rain Drop

Just the way they wiggle their bodies and how they follow you when you walk past their tank c:
I feel rewarded when they make a bubble nest too!!
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:45 AM   #8 
nochoramet

I love it when a fish is a "talker". Chance, Hector, and Fishy are/were talkers. This is what I call it when they wiggle up and down really really fast and pop their mouth open and shut really fast! I always like to think they're telling me what went on during the day or telling on something the other guys did!!! Silly, I know, but that makes me smile :)
And Zim's adorable way of attacking food! He tries to suck it up instead of just grabbing it and ends up chasing a pellet all over the tank for well over 30 seconds, while the other 2 take .00001 seconds to gobble theirs down!
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote