Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2010, 10:57 PM   #1 
SmokeNLark

6 Gallon tank for Xmas gift. What to put in it?

So, my dad fell in love with the Fluval Edge tank this summer. This is it if you don't know what I'm talking about- http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3611441
Anyway, I want to get it for him for Christmas. It's got a filter built in and it's 6 gallons. My question is, what would work in that tank? He doesn't really want a betta. He said he likes glowlight tetra. Would like a small school of them and a shrimp or two work? Even petsmart.com recommends 10+ gallons for tetra.
Any other ideas for that tank? I was also thinking guppies.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #2 
dukie1346

I'm thinking guppies would be better. I have glowlights in my 10g, and they are pretty active :)

Maybe some guppies and some shrimp?
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #3 
JaspersANGEL

That's so nice that ur getting ur dad that tank, it's a beautiful tank!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:04 AM   #4 
CrankyFish84

Those tanks are awesome looking!
Yea tetras are very hyper, and are happiest in a school of at least 6 with area to move.
I can't find any fish except betta recommended for a tank under 10G, but I know people do it & have success. I'd ask the general freshwater forum :)
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:17 AM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I bought one of those tanks when they first came out, and while it worked fine and looked sleek and modern, the design of the tank makes it very difficult to scape, and very difficult to clean. I had to buy a very small siphon just to get around everything, and eventually I just went with an open top tank since I got tired of having to fidget around in between plants and driftwood.

I think tetras and other fish such as danios and white cloud minnows are a little too active for such a small tank, since they need more horizontal swimming space than the edge can offer. A small colony of shrimp would be great, or even something like the micro rasbora fish, which is more suited to nano sized tanks. I'm not sure about guppies, but I could imagine a small trio of females or all males (just watch for fighting) might be fine.

Shrimp are quite sensitive to water conditions, so in a tank this size, especially if you opt to do a fish-in cycle, you will need to keep a careful eye on your water parameters.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote