Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #1 
warfish

sick?

i got a 1.5gallon tank with a couple of small plants and a heater. i change the water once a week. but my fish is turning a funny shade of white and is sitting on the bottom of the tank alot. i have no way to take pictures. any ideas?
warfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

In the 1.5gal tank-how much are the weekly water changes, what kind and how many plants, water temp, additives used, filtration, appetite and how long have you had the fish and have you tried any treatment or medication?

You say a funny shade of white-what part of the body and how long has it been going on? any other behavior changes or symptoms?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #3 
warfish

i do a 50% water change weekly. i have 3 plastic pants that are like grass. the temp is right around 76 and ive had him for about 2months. i give him pellets every other day. and i havent considered meds as i just noticeed this yesterday. and its the underside of his head that is turning white.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

In a 1.5gal I would increase the water change to 50% twice weekly if it is filtered...if not filtered I would do 1-50% and 1-100% weekly on a regular basis to maintain water quality...

Right now....it could be just a water quality issue and by making some daily 50% if filtered or daily 100% if not filtered for several day and see if he won't perk up for you...is he eating okay?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:31 PM   #5 
warfish

yay its filtered. i just did a 100% swap. got it a little to hot so have to let it cool down before i put him back in. and he hasnt really eatne in about a week now that i think about it
Old 11-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #6 
FishyFriend1

do you use salt?
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #7 
warfish

wqel.l he is swimming around more got some of hiscolor back. but still staying close to the bottom. now that he is moving around more looks like he has fin rot :( he fins are all spikey and full of holes:(

no i dont use salt. adn if i were to would plain table salt work?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #8 
DaEvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfish View Post
wqel.l he is swimming around more got some of hiscolor back. but still staying close to the bottom. now that he is moving around more looks like he has fin rot :( he fins are all spikey and full of holes:(

no i dont use salt. adn if i were to would plain table salt work?
DONT DONT DONT use table salt! It can kill him. Most table salt have additives like iodide that are fatal to fish. Use aquarium salt that you can get at the pet shop.

I've seen people recommended 1tsp salt per gallon of water, 10 days at the most of salt treatment. After 10 days, go back to regular clean conditioned water. If fin rot doesn't clear up in 2 weeks, back on the salt for 10 days. Then back to regular clean conditioned water.

Hope he gets better soon.
DaEvangelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

You can use kosher salt-the iodine is not what is harmful and really not that much in regular salt anyway....but you do want to be careful with the other additives in table salt like the anti-caking agents-these can be toxic at high levels...when in doubt don't use it.....
Often, in most cases by improving the water quality the fish immune response will take over-----it won't happen over night-it takes time for them to heal no matter what treatment choice you use.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #10 
DaEvangelist

Thanks for the correction OFL! I didn't know it was the anti-caking agents, I always thought it was the iodine.
DaEvangelist is offline   Reply With Quote