Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #1 
JD3P

Fin rot or normal? (Pics Included)

These are pictures of Pringle when I first got him, notice how his fins are smooth and not curled, and how the top of his caudal fin ( I believe that's the name) doesn't have a huge chunk missing?

Could this be fin rot or something else? Can anyone suggest something I can get that will help correct this if it needs to be.

Name:  DSC09092.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  20.1 KB

Name:  DSC09088.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  33.8 KB

Now these are the updated pictures from yesterday. Notice how his fins look a little different, and the caudal fin (where it's dark blue) looks jagged like it's been damaged or is rotting?
(Also he's moving slightly so the rest of the body looks kinda blurry, not all his fins are messed up).

Name:  DSC00643.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  DSC00645.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  86.8 KB
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #2 
nomoretickets

that looks like fin rot to me
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #3 
Adastra

It doesn't look infected to me. Usually when it is infected there is a change in texture and it tends to look fuzzy and crusty with black or gray discoloration. Gaining color in areas affected by some kind of of trauma, like fin damage, (as in the blue area of the photo) is not unusual. Some marble bettas will have dramatic color transformation around an injury.

As for why the trauma occurred, crowntail rays are extremely delicate and are sensitive to poor water quality and water hardness. Cold temperatures can also cause them to become brittle and fall off. If the fish is stressed out or bored, fin nipping is also a possibility--though in my experience, crowntails seldom do it compared to full-tailed bettas like veiltails and halfmoons.

Can you tell me more about his home? Size, filtration, temperature, heater, frequency of/quantity of water changes , water parameters, etc. The more details you can provide the better.

For now, your main concern is to keep the damaged areas from becoming infected. The best way to do this is through frequent water changes, warm consistent temperature, and a good high protein diet to help him build new fin tissue and keep his immune system strong.

Last edited by Adastra; 11-15-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #4 
anglnarnld

Defiantly fin rot..
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #5 
JD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Can you tell me more about his home? Size, filtration, temperature, heater, frequency of/quantity of water changes , water parameters, etc. The more details you can provide the better.
He's in a 10 gallon tank, Marineland heater set to 80 degrees (when the temperature decreases it senses it and starts heating again so it's at a constant), I have a thermometer to check it. I also have an air stone and a hooded tank with two tank bulbs. As for the water changes in the 10 gallon here they are:
Fish tank set up 1st: October 18, 2nd: October 25 (25% Water Change), 3rd: November 1 (100% Water Change), 4th: November 7 (75% Water Change).
Before I put him in the 10 gallon he was in a 2 gallon and I used to clean the water weekly. I also use aquasafe for his fins, and i feed him a few pellets daily and on occasion some freeze-dried blood worms.

Is there anything else that you should know that can help? Should I consider some solutions to put in the water? I know there are a few out there, jw which ones work.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #6 
JD3P

Anybody? I really need some help with this...

I bought Melafix and have been using it for 5 days. After 7 days it says to do a 25% water change. I haven't noticed a difference really....

This is the exact product:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754040

What else can I do? I can't really afford to buy medications just to TRY them. I want something that has worked for people in the past.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #7 
danifacetastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3P View Post
Anybody? I really need some help with this...

I bought Melafix and have been using it for 5 days. After 7 days it says to do a 25% water change. I haven't noticed a difference really....

This is the exact product:
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Mela Fix - Saltwater - Fish - PetSmart

What else can I do? I can't really afford to buy medications just to TRY them. I want something that has worked for people in the past.
I'm expierencing the same problem. If you'll look at my post in the same forum that's labeled "Something wrong with fish's tail". I don't know what's wrong.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote