Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #1 
Cassandra90

Best Price

My boyfriend and I are planning on getting his dad a new aquarium for christmas. At the moment I think he has a ten gallon with a few tetras, two snails, and a rubber lip pelco. But his mom just passed away and gained a new betta. He has owned bettas before. But his tank as a massive algea problem. He has tried everything possible to get rid of it. He has used tabs, chemicals, water changes, cleaning the gravel and decor.

The best thing I can think of is for him to start over in a new tank. So what I am getting at is...Where is the best price for a 10 gallong kit?
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #2 
shinybetta

You might not want to start over. You will lose all the beneficial bacteria.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #3 
danifacetastic

Will the tank be for the betta and the other fish or just the betta?

But to answer your question it depends on what you need. Walmart has a 10g starter kit which I recently purchased on Saturday and it comes with the tank, the hood, 2 lightbulbs, a filter, filter cartridge, and samples of water conditioner, tropical fish flakes and goldfish flakes. It was only $40 and I'm using the airpump and heater from my old tank. They also sell just 10g tanks with the hood at PetSmart for $30 but you'd have to buy anything else you need.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #4 
Cassandra90

I am not to sure if he is going to put in the betta with them. He has four harlem tetras, I think. They are gold with a black triangel by their tails. I thought walmart had one. I understand the part on not to do it since the bacteria. But he really wants to get rid of the algea. It is every where in his tank. It is like hair.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #5 
bettafish15

Make sure he remembers to rinse the gravel well then before adding it to the new tank. He also might be having aglae problems because he isnt doing enough water changes?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #6 
Cassandra90

Well it seems like every time I am visiting he is doing a water change and he is always asking me questions. They live in a small apartment, the tank does not get much light either. Well Tom(boyfriend) said we could get him gravel. Just he does not want to get his dad new decor. Since his dad kinda has a unique style. He has Godzilla and some other action figures in it. His parents love their decor, goes with the culture. His mom is Japanese born and raised. His parents lived there for 12 years and my boyfriend was born there. So Godzilla is a big thing for his parents. They have seen all the movies and everything to do with Godzilla.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Hair algae is extremely hard to get rid of. What has worked EXTREMELY well for me is dipping the driftwood and plants in a Hydrogen Peroxide dip and then following up with a dose of Flourish Excel daily for a week.

That in conjunction with little to no light has made the algae all but disappear.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #8 
danifacetastic

I would find out where he plans to put the betta. And I would say if the algea is that bad to do a 100 % water change if possible. I know it will get rid of the beneficial bacteria but still.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Doing water changes isn't going to get rid of the algae. The only way to get rid of it is to kill it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #10 
Cassandra90

Well I will let him know about the Peroxide. Would he remove the items, dip in peroxide and then rinse well before adding them back to the tank? I would be scared of harming the fish after putting the items back in. Either way we probably will still get him a tank. Since the betta he is getting and his mother had a pelco...which is kinda large so he might find a home for it.