Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #1 
akjadestar

What live plants should I buy for my 10 gallon?

I had my plants all planned out, then I realized, some of them need really high lighting and I can only fit one 15 watt fluorescent bulb into my 10 gallon light hood...
Anyways, so 5 live stem plants that grow relatively quick, are low maintenance, good for beginners, and don't need very high lighting... thanks! Plus, I want a variety in my aquarium, so one or two plants that are orange or red, or something, instead of green!
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #2 
CrankyFish84

I have the same type lighting in my 10G...I bought some reddish/olivey green/purple Wendts.
It says they like a neutral PH, but my PH is 8.0-8.2....They are doing very well...Maybe not growing
as fast as they could, but then again, I don't have any special fertilizer/plant substrate either.
Wendts Cryptocoryne, Cryptocoryne wendtii Aquarium Plant Care and Plant Pictures

Also, Anacharis grows like a weed, and can be floated on the top closer to light. Someone mentioned cutting off
the ends as they brown, to give new growth more energy. I know it's just plain green, but the bettas seem to love it. :)
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...780&pcatid=780

Last edited by CrankyFish84; 11-12-2010 at 08:16 PM.
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

Wysteria
Water Sprite
Dwarf Lilly (red, gets big though and the lilly pads may block light from all your other plants if you don't trim accordingly)
Hygro
Creeping Jenny (or if you can find it Brazillian Pennywort. That one looks better IMO but I haven't found a seller. :/)

To vary the species in your tank why not throw in some low light, slow growers?
These are often a darker color whereas the faster stem plants are usually light colored. =]

Anubias barteri 'Petite' AKA Anubias Nana is great! =]
If you'd like a fancier bigger anubias then there's Coffee Anubias AKA Anubias barteri 'Coffeefolia'.
It gets bigger and needs room.

If you'd like a red plant and don't mind if it's a floater then Red Root Floater would be a great plant for you! =] www.plantedtank.net says it's hard but the users and a few people on these forums say it's just as easy as any other floater out there. =]

Floaters do an amazing job of cleaning your water (or so I've heard) so if you're looking for something that'll help with water quality then that base is covered as well. =]

If you'd like info on what plants are easy and a gallery of pictures then a great site to check out is www.plantedtank.net

You just click the tab that says plants and then click the type of plant you like to look at in the side bar then it'll give you pages of species that you can look at! They all have pictures and stats too! =]

Oh! And you should totally look into a Marimo Ball (they're actually algea not moss. the ones at the store are fake)! They're god luck, take FOREVER to grow and they're ADORABLE! <3 I know I'm getting one eventually... probably after Christmas! XD They stay at the bottom of your tank. =]

Oh yeah! And speaking of fake Marimo, Moos is always a wonderful addition to an aquarium! =]

Keep in mind I don't own any plants yet. I'm waiting till my paypal is sorted to buy some. :/ So take what I say with a grain of salt as I have no first hand experience. I'm pretty sure that others with experience will verify my statements though. =]

Good luck with whatever you choose and remember to post pics so we can see your set-up/scape! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #4 
akjadestar

Are dwarf lilies floating plants? I already planned for my one floating plant I'd have Najas Grass, I just need to figure of the stem or rooted ones... By Hygro, does that include Sunset Hygrophilas? They can apparently grow in lower light and still keep their nice red color in their leaves, and apparently, a person who had absolutely no experience with plants, just like me, said they grow so fast and easy they're like a weed! Creeping Jenny sounds cool! And easy too, it says it's very easy, grows really fast, and only needs low light! And personally, I want plants that grow fast, so then by the time I'm done cycling my tank will be full of growth so Churro's tank can immediately be nice and cozy with lots of hiding spots!!! Then for my others, wisteria, water sprite, for sure! (also easy plants) Then maybe I'll get Petite Nanas, I know those will be easy to find, unlike the others I've seen them being sold everywhere, and they may be slow growers but with four other fast growers I think I could bear with it... Maybe even if I can't find all of the others I'll find another slow grower so I do have a wider variety in my tank...
Okay so the Petite nanas say very low light, and I think mine is just a bit higher than "very low"... but it's not like a lot is bad for them right? I mean, that's just the minimum right? there's no maximum for lighting?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #5 
TaylorW

Two words.... Java Ferns!! :D

They are so easy to grow, I've never had live plants before, and after a few weeks I had 2 baby sproutlets already! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #6 
CrankyFish84

You guys are lucky if you can find Java Fern! I have to buy most plants I want online.
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #7 
TaylorW

This one pet store near me has TONS of selection for aquariums... They even have several saltwater tanks set up and sell seahorses, coral, clown fish, and all kinds of crazy stuff! I'm pretty sure they had a baby shark there once O_o They have the worse bettas I have ever seen though, but since they have 4 or 5 huge tanks set up dedicated to live plants, I end up shopping there anyways. They had java ferns and marimo balls in there!

Speaking of easy plants, grab some marimo/moss balls! They are super easy to care for! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

On your light...15w is fine...but what is more important for plant growth is the kelvin rating on the light....for best plant growth you want 5500- 6700k...I use 6500k 15w in my natural planted 10gal and my plants do great

With low light even when the plant starts out red in color often they will not stay very red due to the low light-
crypt wendtii red or bronze are a good plant to add for some color and they tend to stay bronze or red....also you can find swords that will give you some color in low light tanks- my Ludwigia natans has stayed pretty red in my low light tank and it is a stem and the Rotala indica another stem stays nice and pink in my tanks grow pretty fast and easy to propagate too.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #9 
akjadestar

It says mine is 18000K... wow, that seems like a lot... But I guess it makes sense, the light is special for stimulating plant growth... Okay so today I checked out PetSmart for plants cause Big Als live plants are really advanced ones I've never heard of. Okay, so they had Water Wisteria at PetSmart, but that was about it... I did see some pretty Scarlet Temple but wasn't so sure about it... And I didn't want to buy my plants one at a time, because then I have to fill up the tank just to keep the one plant alive, and then my tank will already be full once I get my other plants, and then everything is harder to arrange...
Sooo... Next weekend probably I'll get to visit lots of pet stores... Then I'll get Water Sprite... Petite Nanas (which I now remember seeing at Big Als) and Creeping Jenny's if I can find.
Also: I decided to get 2 red plants, but it's also possible I may not be able to find one. I'm definitely getting Scarlet Temple, pretty red green plants I saw at Petsmart, and then Crypt Becketti if I can actually find one. They're so pretty, reddish purple rosette plants, they're slow growers but are easy and only need low light! I really hope I can find them...

Hehe, so now that's up to six stem plants... o.o
Petite Nana
Creeping Jenny
Crypt Beckettii
Scarlet Temple
Water Sprite
Wisteria

AND along with the stem plants, Najas Grass as a floating plant, but I will settle for Hornwort if I can't find that... Anyways, also at Petsmart I found the sand castles I wanted to get! I bought a medium sized one and it looks really good in my 10 gallon with the color of the gravel but I'm debating putting it in my temporary bowl... it will take up the whole entire bottom half probably and it will look terrible with the lime green gravel I threw in there... yeah... maybe not.

Last edited by akjadestar; 11-13-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #10 
atteb

I love the Anubias, so easy to grow and it likes to attach to things like driftwood or even ceramic ornaments. both the large leaf and the small one are great, Marimo balls they are alot of fun I really like these too and the catfish sometimes like to roll them across the sand in my Discus tank.

Two things about the Marimo balls, do not cut them in half as I was told I could get two balls out of this and they would grow back to a circular shape. Wrong, they just fall apart so don't cut them. The other thing is to make sure you roll them over every so often to keep their round shape.
atteb is offline   Reply With Quote