Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #11 
Colibri

Today is day 7 with the Epsom salt treatment, and he's actually about the same. He hasn't gotten any worse, but, he's not fine as always yet. I fasted him for 4 days before I could buy the Epsom salt, now I'm giving him really small amounts of food (5 Azoo micro pellets per day [I'm supposed to give up to 25 in a day] and 1-2 mosquito larva). He's pooping fine, very small but I guess that's because he's not eating a lot (I mean, I don't give him much to eat, he'd LOVE to eat all he could). So, I don't know what to do next. Could his problem persist for the rest of his life? Right now he's living in his small hospital-bowl. It's not even a 1/2 gal bowl, but I'm doing daily water changes. It has a little plant that I did (it has a suction cup on the bottom so it holds still as he likes to swim under it and stay beneath the plant so he doesn't get to the surface) and a leaf-bed. He's active as usual. I'm thinking on putting him on his own 2.5gal tank. I think he would be much happier in one like that than in the 5gal divided tank he used to be. He would have much more space to swim on the top, and, it wouldn't be very hard to reach the bottom and anchor himself on the plants (he really likes doing that). Would it be OK? On the good side, I noticed he doesn't get on one of his sides anymore and kind of floats like that. Still, I really don't understand what's going on with his swim bladder. What else could it be?
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

If this is genetic related or deformed swim bladder that happened during the fry stage and he was a faller-then he may never get better as far as buoyancy issue....some can still live a happy life but will still float, gulp or make odd movements at the surface as if to have trouble getting a gulp of air..kinda like they jam themselves up..hard to explain......lay on their side at the top or bottom, anchor themselves on things to keep down.....no bloat, poops okay, no other symptoms....all you can do is keep them comfy and prevent any other problems......

I think keeping him in his own 2.5gal tank is a good idea and I would even go as far as not using a filter or if I did- use a sponge type and just do water changes 50 and 100% weekly (without filter) and 50% twice weekly (with filter) I would also keep something over the top to help keep the air above the water line warm and humid for the labyrinth organ, even lowering the water level if he seems to have trouble getting to the top and use of Epsom salt as needed, keep the water temp in the 80-82F range, feed small amount several times a day and it is really important to not cause any temp shock with water changes...if it is deformed swim bladder he is kinda handicapped in a sense.......

If you have mosquito larva on hand I would feed lots of them to him-great nutrition and fiber to help build strong immunity

If it is not a deformed swim bladder or genetic related he may just need more time for the swelling to go down in the duct-you can also go up on the Epsom salt to 3tsp/gal with a 1tsp/gal increase every 24h with the 100% daily water changes (that are really important with this treatment)

Did you add any tannins to the water?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #13 
Colibri

All my tanks have an under-gravel filter. I think it works great because the current is not very strong so he'll be OK. I don't think it's genetic, he swam perfectly before, he loved to dive, explore his tank, etc. I think I'll follow your advice and maybe increase a little bit the Epsom salt to help the swelling go down. And no, I didn't add any tannins to his water. It's actually impossible to find almond leaves or anything like it here. I asked my mother though (she lives in Canada) that when she comes to visit us if she could maybe bring me some. A friend of mine suggested that maybe he hurt himself while doing something and the bladder is swelled because of it. I don't know. I'll begin to feed him better then. ! Thank you SO much Oldfishlady!
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

You don't have oak trees in your area...oak leaf and IAL are 99.9% the same as far as chemical compounds and use in aquarium-natural dried and fallen from the tree

When it is genetic related the fish will appear fine and then a stressful situation occurs and it can show up again....fallers usually improve and as the fish matures it show up again...but hopefully it is just an inflamed/infected duct or he has a cold and will get better...fingers crossed.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #15 
liz26914

So what happened? Is your betta still the same? I'm asking because my betta is doing the same thing. I tried feeding him peas but that didn't help so I am trying epsom salt.
I read online that swim bladders can be caused by internal parasites so if epsom salt doesn't work, I start him on some anti parasite medication
liz26914 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swim bladder disorder