Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #1 
Bettacrazy90

Jose is different

Hi everybody,

Well, I was doing my usual morning routine two days ago, waking up and feeding Jose. Usually, he perks up when seeing me and immediately knows that its breakfast, comes to greet me at I usually feed him some soaked pellets. Well, two days ago, he didn't greet me in the morning. Very odd to me, but I did my usual routine and he came out, saw the food, ate and then immediately went back to his hole when I came near. I thought it was weird but it didn't make me think otherwise. Fish have off days like us sometimes. So when I came back, his tails were closed and he was breathing very hard. Okay, I though maybe something is wrong. I immediately did a 50% water change, checked the temp, and ammonia and everything checked out fine. It's like he is very scared of me all of a sudden. He usually comes out and is very inquisitive about the world around him. But in the past few days he's been very scared and always hides in his corner. When I was able to see him, their is no spots, or discolorations. Its like he got really scared by something and he's like "screw this im staying in my hole". I don't know if its an illness or just a change in behavior. Alright, heres the breakdown;

Housing
What size is your tank - 10 GAL
What temperature is your tank 80-82 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter YES
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration YES
Is your tank heated YES
What tank mates does your betta fish live with NONE

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets mostly with a bloodworm here or there
How often do you feed your betta fish twice a day, 3-4 pellets per feeding

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?20%-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat, a little Epsom Salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.01
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: N/A
Hardness:N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed No changes in appearance
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? VERY timid and scared
When did you start noticing the symptoms About 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 3 months old
Bettacrazy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems...
How long and how much Epsom salt are you using and why?
I would start by making some daily 50% water changes for several days and see if that won't perk him up and then I would do regular weekly 50% with vacuum thereafter.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #3 
Bettacrazy90

Just what is recommened about a tsp per gal. Sorry, I should say its not epson but aquarium salt, and I went by the directions that were on the box. Thanks for the water change idea, I will start that today
Old 11-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I wouldn't use aquarium salt longer than 10 days-
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #5 
Bettacrazy90

gotcha! Will do!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #6 
Bettacrazy90

UPDATE!!!

Well, I got home today after work and saw that he was in the same place as before. So to rule out all other possibilities, I put him in a bowl that I have and did a 100% water change and cleaning. The stuff that came up was appalling! So, I learned a critical lesson today, always plan to have a 100% water change!!!!! He is starting to act more normal and himself. But I am not gonna push it so I will try to feed him and then put him to bed. He's strutting around his tank flaring and probably marking his territory. This is a good sign. I also changed out the plants for new ones and mixed it up a little bit. So its looking a lot better. We will see. I also changed out Steve's tank to since I was at it. Gotta remember to keep up on the water changes. THANKS OLDFISHLADY for all your help!!!