Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #1 
AmyLou21

was flaring but now develops stress lines???

ok so im having all sorts of bad luck with Hikaru - he stopped dashing around the tank now and was fine for a while!

But last friday i came home to find his abdomen quite distended and bloated - i thought he prob had constipation, so fasted him for 2 days then fed him a small bit of boiled pea. The bloating subsided and i thought he was fine - but since sunday he has been acting weird. He used to be quite active and now just hides in his cave most of the time unless i come near the tank in which case he will come out and swim around, and also he used to flare when i put a mirror up to the tank, but when i do it now he just looks at it swims away and they developes white horizontal stress lines! what is going on, could he just still be feeling a bit under the weather after the whole bloating incident?

I'm still having probs with ammonia levels being too high but am trying to manage it the best i can with regular water changes! could this be causing it?

tanks info etc to follow....

thanks for any help, as usual much appreciated
AmyLou21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #2 
AmyLou21

Housing
What size is your tank? 13 litres (~ 3.5 US gallons)
What temperature is your tank? 80 deg C
Does your tank have a filter? yes - and undergravel filter that runs off of an airpump/airstone
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? airstone which drives the filter
Is your tank heated? yes - 25 watt adjustable
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraBetta flakes, freeze dried blood worms, boiled peas
How often do you feed your betta fish? flakes - small pinch once per day for 3 days out of 7, worms - 1 or 2 worms once per day for 2 days out of 7, pea - quarter of a boiled frozen pea once a day for 1 day out of 7, one day = fasting

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30% and 100% every week or every fortnight

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? TapSafe (dechlorinator) everytime, filter start once per month, have recently bought some salt which i am going to add to the tank

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness: N/A (don't have a test for this)
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he did have a bloated abdomen but this has subsided now, his head is slightly paler and develops stress stripes when i hold up a mirror

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he stays in his cave most of the time unless i come up to the tank when he will swim around, he has stopped flaring at the mirror and instead develops stress lines!
When did you start noticing the symptoms? sunday (3 days ago)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? well iv stopped trying to get him to flare, am going to do a 100% water change in a couple of days in case its the ammonia, also fasted for 2 days when i noticed bloating and then gave small bit of pea
Does your fish have any history of being ill? he was lethargic when I first brought him home but he perked up once I raised the temp in his tank, he was also swimming eratically w while ago but have moved his tank away from high traffic area and do more regular water changes which have helped

How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea sorry!

thanks again folks!€ xxx
Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Have you tested your source water for ammonia?

What kind of testing products are you using?

I would stay on top of the water changes to keep the ammonia level down to 0.25ppm or less....but first you need to rule out your source water as the reason...does your dechlorinator also cover ammonia?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:29 AM   #4 
AmyLou21

Hi OldFishLady

I use the API master kit to test water parameters - the last test showed ammonia at 2ppm, have done a 50% water change since then.

I have tested my source water for ammonia and it is 0ppm.

The label on my dechlorinator reads...
"Removes harmful chlorines and chloramines from tap water. Also detoxifies ammonia released by fish. Benefits the protective slime coat of fish"

It states that I can add it when performing a water change and when ammonia levels are high. Would this be ok along with regular water changes to help reduce the ammonia and stress to my fish?

Also, I woke up this morning and he has a white strand hanging from his underbelly...do you have any idea what this is?

Thanks so much for your help!
:)
Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Since your dechloranator also works on ammonia I think what you may be reading is ammonium the harmless form of ammonia and the test can't tell the difference-otherwise I think your fish would be showing more signs of distress related to ammonia at 2ppm level-make sure you are using enough of the product
Can you post a pic of the white stand and you are sure it is not poop-it may be internal parasite related.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #6 
AmyLou21

Hi again

OK am thinking that I may not have been adding enough of the dechlorinator because I didn't want to harm my fish but I will definitely add the correct amount from now on.

Also, I woke up this morning and the white strand has gone so I am unable to get a pic. He is still a bit letharic and not flaring in front of mirror but developing stress lines. His abdomen is looking a little swollen again so I'm going to fast him for a few days. When I fed him yesterday he didn't seem interested in the food at all! Not really sure what's wrong! Could it be an internal parasite and if so what would be the treatment???

Thanks again!