Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #21 
Malvolti

The dosage is one packet per day for days 2-5, they also recommend a 25% change after the 5th day. As for daily changes, I do them daily just before I medicate since the fresh clean water helps healing as much if not more than the medicine.

On the back of the box under indications it will hint at this. They say "No water changes, pH or temperature adjustments necessary...maintain normal filtration and air."

If you read inside they say that chemical sponges need to be removed but if your carbon is 6+ days old it can stay, though you should change it after the treatment.

The active ingredient is 10 mg minocycline activity in each packet. It says this on the back of the box under the warning.

Last edited by Malvolti; 11-21-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #22 
Jeff72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
The dosage is one packet per day for days 2-5, they also recommend a 25% change after the 5th day. As for daily changes, I do them daily just before I medicate since the fresh clean water helps healing as much if not more than the medicine.
Do you do the recommended amount of 25% each day before medication or something different?

Since I have a 10 gal tank and a filter, I am wondering if it would be necessary to do this many water changes. If it were a smaller tank, for sure but with 10 gallons as well as temporary fasting, I wouldn't think the water quality would become very compromised.
Jeff72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #23 
Malvolti

I usually do 50% or more each day before medicating but that's because I have a small tank.

How much you change is up to you though I'm sure others will have good suggestions for a daily change amount. I've never used a 10 gal as a hospital tank so I can't comment. I can only point at the box where it says you don't NEED to change your schedule.

I personally would go with daily 10-25% changes just because fresh clean water is the best thing for a sick fish usually.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #24 
Jeff72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
I usually do 50% or more each day before medicating but that's because I have a small tank.

How much you change is up to you though I'm sure others will have good suggestions for a daily change amount. I've never used a 10 gal as a hospital tank so I can't comment. I can only point at the box where it says you don't NEED to change your schedule.

I personally would go with daily 10-25% changes just because fresh clean water is the best thing for a sick fish usually.
The only reason that I went with my 10 gallon is because the medication instruction are given based on a 10 gallon tank. Plus, I have the heater in the tank as well as filtration. I would have liked to medicate in the smaller container that I was doing the Epsom Salt baths in, but I don't have a clue as to the amount of medication that would need to be added to that small of a container. I would think the margin of error would be really high in this case. At least for me anyways.

I will definitely keep in mind your 10-25% recommendation. I am most interested in seeing how she does after about 24 hours. I think that will probably tell me whether she will respond to this treatment at all.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #25 
Jeff72

Well, I am sad to report that my sick female didn't make it. She passed away overnight. At first it seemed like she was responding well to the medication, then she just suddenly took a turn for the worse and never recovered.

I would like to thank everyone that responded to this thread trying to help me out. I really appreciate it. I still have my other female but I don't think I will be buying Bettas at a pet store anymore. It's too much of a "crap shoot" as to what you are getting. Most are kept in horrible conditions and by the time you get them home, the damage has already been done and it's just a matter of time before they pass away.

In any event, thanks again everyone.