Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #1 
Chicklet

Continual tireless Spawning

I just thought I'd share this,

I got a male Betta in one of my bigger 60 gallon tanks,
I threw him in there because he never seemed to be able to see a spawning thru,
For the hell of it I threw a female in with him and let them go.
Almost exactly every 3 days they embrace and He does his egg gathering and depositing,
Then She scoots back to her side of the tank and stays pretty much put, He is diligent about his eggs however there are no babies as the tank is full of loaches and he never did complete any spawning anyways.

I never would have thought they would keep in up this long, and now I'm curious as to just how long they will keep at it every few days.

Their at it again right now, two little love birds,
Both are in amazing health, So i'm just letting them do their thing until they decide to stop see how long that takes.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #2 
Chicklet

I just snapped a picture of them embracing
Things seem to have changed this time, The female is actually helping the male gather and deposit the eggs.
I may have to give these two love birds their own tank if they keep this up, give him another shot since they are so persistent!
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

NICE!! I wish I had some bigger tanks to try this with! Every three days sounds amazing :P
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #4 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

What a beautiful picture. <3
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:25 AM   #5 
TaylorW

Aww, that's amazing! It's nice to know 2 bettas can live happily together when given plenty of space! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

In my 75g heavy planted tank I have been able to keep multi males and females together without any problems and I got natural spawning for the first year and never got live fry-lots of eggs and nest-but going into the second year all spawning stopped even after I add younger Bettas in the tank this summer-total bettas in the tank now is about 25.(pic in my album)

I did an experiment this summer with 5gal buckets outside and I got non-stop spawning and ended up with more Bettas than I knew what to do with....lol.....good thing my line is in demand.....

I also did an experiment 2 years ago in a 10g planted full to the top with water in the house with a multi spawn and I experienced the same thing.....a new spawn every 3 days-the female never ate the eggs or fry, but the older fry did eat the young fry...some of the offspring from this experiment are the ones I used in my outside experiment and the ones in the 75gal

I have done several different experiments this summer-one being water dept choice and they picked the deep water not the shallow water to build nest and to spawn.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Ugh.. I wish I could get my blue pair to do this. I might try setting up a planted 10 gallon and throw them in and see what they do. I really want some fry from this pair.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote