Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 AM   #1 
Waterbottle2

10g tank brown algae help

I have a 10g tank that is heavily planted filtered and cycled but I have this brown algae I cannot get rid of. the tank has one betta in it and a few ghost shrimps it is very, very heavily planted along with 2 coconut caves that have moss attached to em the substrate is ecomcomplete

What kind of fish should I get to help with the algae? I'm well aware I'd have to give them supplements and I have plenty of different algae tabs on hand. I've heard eco complete can hurt the corys whiskers.
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:16 AM   #2 
bettafish15

I have brown algae, and I just wipe it off, and I'm good :) It happens to me when I dont do a water change fast enough xD
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #3 
Waterbottle2

I do a 50% water change every week religously am I not doing it enough? I thought that was what was recommended for a 10g that is cycled and heavily planted
Old 11-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #4 
bettafish15

No, I think you're doing it great, especially if you've got live plants in there :) I was just telling you how the algae comes around in my tank. Your water change scheduale is fine ;D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #5 
Waterbottle2

ok thanks theres like 10 live plants in there lol. yea I was just wonderin if there were any fish that could help me clean it up? I've read alot about otos and I know they need to be in groups of 3 or more. Would I be overstocking with 3 ottos and a beta and probably like...2-3 ghost shrimps ina heavily planted 10g with a filter? Also I know ottos need well established tanks :O
Old 11-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

It does sound like diatoms and normal in new set ups-how long has your tank been set up? Diatoms should wipe off easy so you can vacuum them out with one of your regular water changes.
Diatoms can also be caused by old light bulbs-how old are your bulbs and what is the kelvin rating on it.

Tannins in the water from either driftwood, use of IAL, oak leaf or the blackwater extract products can stain things brown and it is harder to get this off.

How many (10-right?) and what kind of plants do you have, I see you are using eco-complete for substrate...correct......

Adding 3-4 otos can help and they love diatoms, you already know that you still have to supplement feed them....good that you have done your research-so you may already know this too.....when you go to get them from the pet shop-find out how long they have been at the shop-you want them to have been at the shop for at least 2 weeks-this way you will know they are eating-look for nice round looking fish they are usually female get 2 of these and get 1 that looks healthy but slimmer that is the male....they seem happier when they have both sexes in the tank and with lots of plants you may even get eggs...never know.....

In a 10g-planted tank with 1 betta, 3-4 otos and some ghost shrimp with a 50% weekly water change...sounds good......

Love to see some pics.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #7 
Waterbottle2

thanks so much oldfishlady I reas up alot on ottos before considering them. I learned my lesson on buying fish without knowing much about them. My betta has a sweet personality wont even harm the shrimp. I dont think he'll harm ottos if he wont harm shrimp. There are alot of hididng places in the tank but I've seen ghost shrimp feeding next to my betta and he pays them no attention.

I have amazon swords, java ferns and coconuts with wheeping moss on them. I have a big marimo ball and some cool plant I got from kahoots. I forgot what its called but I checked on plantedtank and posted a pic they gave me a name and indeed it was aquatic I just forgot the name....

TY old fish lady I also read that boiling/microwaving some zuchini and veggies will make the ottos happy.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #8 
Waterbottle2

Oh and my tanks a few months old
Old 11-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Otos do like mature tanks- but IMO/E as long as they have live plants and lots of hiding places they will be fine-and yes, on the veggies-microwave or par-boil first to start the fibers to break down and once they find it they will go nuts, mine really loved par-boiled baby spinach-

If you start feeding them in the same location at about the same time each day-you can condition them to a feeding time-I did this with mine so I could do a head count each day and I also do this with my plecos....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #10 
Waterbottle2

Ok cool how much should I feed all 4 a day? also I got my ottos today so far so good. My betta pays absolutely NO mind to them at all. He has seen them and actually kind of hangs out near them but completely ignores them. he does the same with the shrimp. They seem to be going to town on the plants and glass :) I hope everything goes well and your advice is really appreciated.

Oh and I baffled my filter today aswell my new hydor theo 50watt came in the mail as did my huuuuge thing of prime! So I'm really excited. i already had a decent heater that did the job but i wanted to invest ina better one.

Can you name off some foods they will eat? I know zuchini spinach and some others...Theres ALOT OF algae in the tank but I'm going to get a veggie clipper and vegetables tommorow